Re: Buddhist minor beaten, arrested in St Paul They don't just arrest and detain journalists . . .FW: [WisPeaceInfo] Keith's arrest at the RNC

Pope, Karen O. (POPEKJ@uwec.edu)
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 19:54:36 -0500

From: "Pope, Karen O." <POPEKJ@uwec.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 19:54:36 -0500
Subject: FW: Buddhist minor beaten, arrested in St Paul  They don't just arrest and detain journalists . . .FW: [WisPeaceInfo] Keith's arrest at the RNC

Just a post from the Red Cedar Peace Initiative, FYI in case you have not b een following this. Is it me, or do you think the aggression and violence against dissent is ratcheting up?? If this doesn't make you angry there are plenty more photos and documented stories out there that will.

Karen
________________________________________ From: WisPeaceInfo@yahoogroups.com [WisPeaceInfo@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
 Of Marion Lang [marionlang@charter.net] Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 8:43 PM To: wispeace Subject: [WisPeaceInfo] Keith's arrest at the RNC

Hi Jody and Wispeacelisters, Jody, thanks for your report and for the good spirit you added to the large ly peaceful events. You showed real courage and I honor the focused efforts
 for peace that you continue to be part of. Did you also go to the walk wit h the group from Menomonie. Does anyone have a report on that? Did I miss t hat email,

As some of you may already be aware, Keith Smith, who with his mother Mel, organized "Music for Peace," in July, was arrested, while participating in
 a peace demonstration last week during the RNC. If you went to the concer t you know how peaceful Keith is. The music, games for kids, relaxed and we lcoming atmosphere made that day a true day of peace in Menomonie. The kind
 of day we wish for all people everywhere on earth.

But at the demonstration he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am sorry this happened to him. We spoke to Keith tonight and he is in goo d shape, feeling peaceful I think.

I am forwarding an email from Keith's Mom. So far Keith has not received a letter defining the charges against him.

Subject: Protest coverage of Keith before and after he was beaten by the po lice For those of you who have not heard, our son Keith was assaulted by five St
. Paul police officers at the RNC protest. He sustained serious and signifi cant injuries. We continue to search for more video footage in the hopes th at we will find the actual assault. We are also hoping to determine the nam es of the few witnesses present. Keith was the only minor that was illegall y released the night he was arrested. He was also the only minor that susta ined injuries requiring medical attention. The Senior Commander stated that
 the Juvenile Detention Facility refused to have him because he required ex tensive medical treatment. When released back to the police he was put back
 on the streets of St. Paul without medical attention. I spent much of the day today forcing them to search for his "lost" arrest record (one of only 22 records for arrested minors). Once the record was "found" they confessed
 that the detention facility refused him because of his condition. He was t aken to our local hospital and treated for serious injuries caused by the " criminal assault" (hospital's words) The news stories explain in more detai l. WCCO came to our home and interviewed him tonight. They expect the story
 to run tomorrow. Yes, we have contacted a lawyer, yes they are dealing wit h it. Photos are posted on Mandy's myspace.com/2ndmomof9 page. Twenty nine of the photos were removed because they were too graphic for myspace. That gives you a glimpse into the suffering that our Buddhist son endured .

Feel free to distribute widely.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1ff_1220325865 Minute 3:35 Pre-arrest peaceful protest footage of Keith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ktyEPQHbvM Minute 2:30 bloody hands, wrist and back, in the white t-shirt that did not
 belong to him that was placed over his body to prevent video or photograph s of his bloody body, followed by a videographer telling the police that th ey were “pickin’ on kids and trying to keep him from videotaping”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d24r9DoH2-8 Minute 1:45 After the beating and arrest, with two of the women who assiste d him during the attack. One gives the peace sign in the video, the other i s beside him. If anyone knows who these women are, please contact us with t heir names.

http://www.minnesotaindependent.com/6952/youth-in-iconic-rnc-protest-photo- beaten-by-police-according-to-his-mother Coverage and photograph before beating and arrest

http://wcco.com/slideshows/march.rnc.republican.20.807628.html?rid=5 Photograph before the beating and arrest

http://www.vitalsourcemag.com/index.php/blogs/michelle/the-reality-of-prote st-police-brutality-in-minneapolis/ Coverage Get the MapQuest Toolbar. Directions, Traffic, Gas Prices & More! marion lang 314 11th Street E Menomonie, WI 54751

marionlang@charter.net 715.235.5686