Re: Voting in Wisconsin

Pope, Karen O. (POPEKJ@uwec.edu)
Fri, 3 Oct 2008 11:46:19 -0500

From: "Pope, Karen O." <POPEKJ@uwec.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 11:46:19 -0500
Subject: FW: Voting in Wisconsin

This GAB search engine works well and would be a good site to share with st udents (and maybe some fac/staff!) to make sure they know where they regist ered, fyi.

Karen Osborne Pope Associate Professor Emerita, McIntyre Library University of WI - Eau Claire contact: popekj@uwec.edu 715 529 0272
________________________________________ From: Carol Deshich [carol@pdawisconsin.com] Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 10:53 AM To: Pope, Karen O. Subject: Voting in Wisconsin

Dear Karen

We have a very important election coming up in 39 days. Since there may be
 problems at the polls this year, I wanted to remind everyone to check thei r registration ahead of time, and vote early if possible. Here are the met hods for doing that in our state:

Go to the GAB web site at http://vpa.wi.gov/ Go to "Look Up Your Voter Registration and Polling Place Location" In the boxes, enter your last name, first name, and birth date (mm/dd/yyyy) Click on SEARCH If you are registered, your name and address should appear. If it doesn't work, click on "Clear" and try again. If there is a problem with your registration, contact your local elections office (city, village, or municipal clerk, etc.).

People who registered prior to 2003 and did not provide a Date of Birth may
 be getting letters asking them to provide this information - which is now a required identifier. You can read about this and other elections related information, at the Government Accountability Board web site: http://electi ons.state.wi.us/index.asp

In Wisconsin you can register to vote on Election Day (November 4) - Just b e sure to bring proof of residence like a drivers license or utility bill.

If you are registered, its not too early to vote in the November 4 election
.

You can download a ballot request from http://elections.state.wi.us/subcate gory.asp?linksubcatid=1636&locid=47

You can fill out the "fillable" request online before you print it out and send it in to your municipal clerk. (You should also be able to get a ballo t from your municipal clerk.)

Ballots will be mailed out through the Thursday before the election. Absent ee ballots must be received in the City Clerk's Office on or before electio n day. Ballots received after the election date will not be counted.

You can send your ballot in right away- it will be counted on election day with the rest from your precinct.

I hope this fall election brings great change for our state and country.

Carol Deshich Wisconsin State Coordinator Progressive Democrats of America
(608)308-7519