RE: ROTC for UWEC?

Wesenberg, Nancy Christine (WESENBNC@uwec.edu)
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:23:49 -0500

From: "Wesenberg, Nancy Christine" <WESENBNC@uwec.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:23:49 -0500
Subject: RE: ROTC for UWEC?

Yes, I just read that a few days ago. She said it well. nancy

-----Original Message----- From: Webster, Christine Kaye Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:23 PM To: Wesenberg, Nancy Christine; Welch, Karen A.; Hale, Kate; Pope, Karen O.
; SFPJ Subject: RE: ROTC for UWEC?

http://www.newsweek.com/id/192456 Interesting timing of Anna Quindlen's piece in the April 13 NEWSWEEK "End O f An Error" on the don't ask, don't tell policy in the U.S. military

-----Original Message----- From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto: [mailto:sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.e du] On Behalf Of Wesenberg, Nancy Christine Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:16 PM To: Welch, Karen A.; Hale, Kate; Pope, Karen O.; SFPJ Subject: RE: ROTC for UWEC?

Thanks for this reminder Karen. I hadn't even remembered about this, and a s a long-time LGBT ally, it's good information to consider. Nancy

-----Original Message----- From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto: [mailto:sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.e du] On Behalf Of Welch, Karen A. Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:08 PM To: Hale, Kate; Pope, Karen O.; SFPJ Subject: RE: ROTC for UWEC?

For a perspective on the effects of this program on our campus LGBT populat ion, please see the attached e-mail I received from a student last week.

Karen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Karen Peterson Welch, Ph.D. Director of Composition Department of English University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Eau Claire, WI 54702-4004 Office: (715) 836-4630 Fax: (715) 836-5996 welchka@uwec.edu
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-----Original Message----- From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto: [mailto:sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.e du] On Behalf Of Hale, Kate Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:46 PM To: Pope, Karen O.; SFPJ Subject: Re: ROTC for UWEC?

Just a quick note regarding involvement of university senate-I'm on my way to a meeting-the press release notes that:

"After the pilot phase, if the ROTC program is approved through the univers ity's shared governance system, it will become a series of courses offered through the College of Business, he said."

Kate

________________________________ From: "Pope, Karen O." <POPEKJ@uwec.edu> Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:39:19 -0500 To: SFPJ <sfpj@listserve.uwec.edu> Subject: ROTC for UWEC?

Hi SFPJ folks: This press release causes me some angst/ alarm, and I expect SFPJ folks mig ht want to be included in any campus wide debate.

http://www.uwec.edu/newsreleases/09/apr/0402ROTC.htm

I couldn't help but be dismayed and a little alarmed that, of all the cours es of study UWEC could add and all the needs we have pressing on our resour ces at the University, UWEC is adding ROTC. It sounds "free" but we know i t is not; and once added, it's insidious and awfully hard to change course/
 mind. Was there a pressing, public need expressed? What was wrong with
 the current arrangement for 8 students to take courses via Stout? I guess
 I don't get it. Is this what the premier liberal arts undergraduate insti tution wants, really?

Do we want to take a position as a group on this issue? Will it come up i n the Fac./student Senates?

Karen Osborne Pope Associate Professor Emerita, McIntyre Library University of WI - Eau Claire
 popekj@uwec.edu cell 715 529 0272