RE: Act today -- 5,000 casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan

Webster, Christine Kaye (WEBSTECK@uwec.edu)
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 09:28:41 -0500

From: "Webster, Christine Kaye" <WEBSTECK@uwec.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 09:28:41 -0500
Subject: RE: Act today -- 5,000 casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan

Yes, n how many deaths will it take till he knows That too many people have died?
"blowin in the wind" Bob Dylan

My daughter and her 8-year-old friend and I stopped at The High Ground, Nei llsville, on Sunday. It took my daughter a few minutes to understand that t his was a place set aside to remember the dead. When this finally sunk in, she thumped down on a bench with her shoulders hunched forward and remained
 silent. Still, there's no way for her to comprehend the enormity of the lo sses of human life.

Have we learned nothing?
-----Original Message----- From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto: [mailto:sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.e du] On Behalf Of Pope, Karen O. Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:16 AM To: SFPJ Subject: FW: Act today -- 5,000 casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan

This sad milestone acknowledged.

Karen

________________________________________ From: Laurie Creasy, American Friends Service Committee [From: Laurie Creasy, American Friends Service Committee [actioncenter@afsc. org] Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 1:30 PM To: Pope, Karen O. Subject: Act today -- 5,000 casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan

[http://secure2.convio.net/afsc/images/content/pagebuilder/12879.gif]

Write a letter to the editor today -- 5,000 casualties is too many!<http:// support.afsc.org/site/R?i=saLfYlEMneiAABosyiGnzQ..>

Dear Karen,

We reached 5,000 on Monday afternoon - 5,000 U.S. troops killed in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Lately Iraq seems like the war time forgot. People have moved on. Most ma jor media outlets no longer have staff there.

[http://support.afsc.org/images/content/pagebuilder/12911.gif]But the daily
 reality of life and death in a war zone continues. In fact, May was the bl oodiest month for U.S. soldiers in Iraq since last September.

And now there's Afghanistan. U.S. troops are to be completely withdrawn fr om Iraq over the next three years. Many could be redeployed to Afghanistan.

The G.I. and civilian deaths will increase there, too.

5,000.

That's the human cost of both wars for the United States. The human cost fo r Iraq and Afghanistan is much greater. It's a cost that's too high emotion ally for friends, for families, and for all three nations as a whole.

We want our troops home now. We need timely plans for complete withdrawal in both countries.

Please join us by sending a letter to the editor<http://support.afsc.org/si te/R?i=7QN1iTPpU5zIYlvDrtlf3A..> or downloading our 5000th milestone sign s <http://support.afsc.org/site/R?i=aw0u4ykPAc54zaRKxEhqdg..> (like the o ne above) to use in your windows or at a vigil.

Peace,
[http://support.afsc.org/images/content/pagebuilder/12821.gif]

Laurie Creasy, American Friends Service Committee

Forward this message<http://support.afsc.org/site/R?i=_0sifx3znzkH6P57m9F 4rw..> to your friends.

American Friends Service Committee 1501 Cherry Street Philadelphia, PA 19102 http://www.afsc.org/<http://support.afsc.org/site/R?i=VEQMJBu5paM6Q3yccnA yxw..>