Eau Claire Progressive Film Festival 2010

Nowlan, Bob (RANOWLAN@uwec.edu)
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 16:56:45 -0500

From: "Nowlan, Bob" <RANOWLAN@uwec.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 16:56:45 -0500
Subject: Eau Claire Progressive Film Festival 2010

Greetings, Friends, SFPJ:

    The Eau Claire Progressive Film Festival (ECPFF) will be returning in April 2010 for our fourth year, after a one-year hiatus. The Festival will
 run from April 16-25. Justin Hoelzen, this year's Director, and I (the Ex ecutive Director), have been working the past several weeks to get the Fest ival going for this year, and we have already worked to select, refine, and
 narrow a list of prospective films to 55 as of today. We expect ECPFF 20 10 will be an exciting and valuable contribution to the campus and greater Eau Claire area communities once again this time around as it has in the pa st.

    We are once again inviting UWEC students to join the ECPFF staff if abl e and interested to help out in organizing, producing, and conducting the F estival. So far we've reached out to English majors, minors, and grad stud ents, as well as students who've already expressed interest, as of last spr ing (and now have approximately 15 people interested in helping out), but w e would , in addition, welcome other students from across campus who might find helping out on this project something they'd also find enjoyable and w orthwhile to pursue. So if you know of students in your departments, or wi th whom you work, and especially of course if you are not in English, it wo uld be great if you would share this information with them. If they are in terested in helping out, they can do so for course credit, service-learning
 credit, or simply because they want to do so without earning any credit. The more people helping out (within reason, of course) the more and better we will be able to make the festival. Students can help out with programm ing, fundraising, promotion, publicity, technical and logistical support, e ducational and community outreach, and artistic liaison (among other areas of prospective contribution to our collective work). Potentially intereste d students can contact me and/or Justin:

ranowlan@uwec.edu

Or

hoelzeja@uwec.edu

    For your information, here's a rundown of what we screened and discusse d the three previous festivals:

At our last, 2008, festival we screened and discussed:

Friday April 18, 8 pm: No End in Sight Saturday April 19, 5 pm: Hacking Democracy Saturday April 19, 8 pm: La Haine Sunday April 20, 5 pm: Fires on the Plain Sunday April 20, 8 pm: Inland Empire Monday April 21, 8 pm: Black Gold Tuesday April 22, 8 pm: Half Moon Wednesday April 23, 8 pm: Killer of Sheep Thursday April 24, 8 pm: The Price of Sugar Friday April 25, 8 pm: King Corn Saturday April 26, 5 pm: Titicut Follies Saturday April 26, 8 pm: Belfast, Maine Sunday April 27, 5 pm: La Commune, Paris, 1871, Part One Sunday April 27, 8 pm: La Commune, Paris, 1871, Part Two

In 2007 we screened and discussed: Why We Fight; This Land is Your Land; Wa r is $ell; The World According to Shorts; Manderlay; Strange Fruit; Doing T ime: Life Inside the Big House; The God Who Wasn't There; The Cult of the S uicide Bomber; Who Killed the Electric Car?; Laramie Inside Out; The Hour o f the Furnaces Parts I and II; Daddy & Papa; Zero Degrees of Separation; Do mestic Violence I and II; Brother Outsider : the Life of Bayard Rustin; ACL U Freedom Files, Parts 1-10; The Forsaken Land; Darwin's Nightmare; What is
 Indie?; Before the Music Dies; I Know I'm Not Alone; Pick Up the Mic; The Gleiwitz Case; The Murderers are Among Us; Your Unknown Brother; Act of War
: the Overthrow of the Hawaiian Nation; Aloha Quest (Parts 1 and 2); DAM/AG
E; Kaho' olawe Aloha '? ina; and Fight Back, Fight AIDS: Fifteen Years of A CT UP.

In 2006 we screened and discussed: Hijacking Catastrophe: 9/11, Fear and Se lling the American Empire; School of Assassins; A Place Called Chiapas; The
 War at Home; Blood in the Face; Justifiable Homicide; The Fight in the Fie lds: Cesar Chavez and the Farmworkers' Struggle; A Grin without a Cat; Blac ks Britannica; Weekend; Out: the Making of a Revolutionary; Brothers and Ot hers; Lost Boys of Sudan; Farmingville; The Future of Food; Bonhoeffer; Pri est; Punishment Park; The War Game; No Dumb Questions; Knock Off: Revenge o f the Logo; My Name is Joe; Working Women of the World; Medium Cool; and Th e Take.

Thanks for your help in spreading the word and generating interest in helpi ng out among UWEC students.

Best,

Bob Nowlan English