Weblink for Disaster Management Technical Assistance

Bernstein, Rick A - WHS (Rick.Bernstein@wisconsinhistory.org)
Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:32:14 -0500

Subject: Weblink for Disaster Management Technical Assistance
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:32:14 -0500
From: "Bernstein, Rick A - WHS" <Rick.Bernstein@wisconsinhistory.org>

I have not heard many historical societies or museums about flood damage as of yet, but I think there must be at least a few. So with that thought in mind I offer this weblink (courtesy of Joe Kapler, Curator, Wisconsin State Museum) with some good advice should you need it. http://www.collectioncare.org/pubs/v2n1p4.html

Rick Bernstein Field Services Rep - Southern Region Wisconsin Historical Society 608 264 6583

Please note my new email address rick.bernstein@wisconsinhistory.org

-----Original Message----- From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu on behalf of Don Jensen Sent: Thu 6/12/2008 8:52 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Collections Policies
  I think the point was missed here. Of course, deaccessioning is a necessary part of maintaining a collection. The ONLY issue was whether is is wise or unwise to auction or sell deaccessioned items locally because of the possible public relations and image problems. I think that has now been thoroughly discussed and the means and sources for obtaining more information have been offered by the professionals in our midst. No one was "jumping on" any institution for its decisions. But if THIS is not the place to discuss serious questions about museumkeeping, what is? It seems to me that we are all big boys and girls and are capable of an adult discussion from which we might all -- including, most assuredly, me -- can learn something.
--Don Jensen