Re: Compensation

Pat Konkle (patk@new.rr.com)
Sun, 6 Jul 2008 19:35:31 -0500

From: "Pat Konkle" <patk@new.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Compensation
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 19:35:31 -0500

Thanks so much for the information Janet! I will be calling you to discuss further within the next few days.

Pat Konkle

----- Original Message ----- From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org> To: <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 3:54 PM Subject: RE: Compensation

Hi Pat,

I'm sure others will chime in and offer you their experience and examples. If you do prefer to respond to Pat "off the list" do not click reply, instead send the message directly to: instead send the message directly to: patk@new.rr.com. I'm sure there are others who have moved from a volunteer to a paid position, and might offer you advice.

Generally, the pay range for such a position varies greatly depending on the organization's budget, the region, the person's experience, etc., so it will be hard to pin down an average. I have seen examples of pay ranges anywhere from minimum wage up to $15 per hour. Some organizations offer a yearly salary instead.

A few key points to remember if you move from a volunteer to paid position: 1. you should resign as a board member to avoid conflict of interest 2. work with the board to develop a job description that outlines responsibilities and tasks 3. continue to communicate with the board openly about their expectations for this position.

Pat, I'd be happy to talk with you further on the phone, since this can be a complex issue, so please feel free to give me a call when I'm back in the office on July 7.

Janet

Janet Seymour Field Services Representative - Northern Region Wisconsin Historical Society

c/o Department of History, UW-Eau Claire 105 Garfield Avenue Eau Claire WI 54701 Voice: 715-836-2250 Web: www.wisconsinhistory.org <http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/>

Review past messages at: http://listserve.uwec.edu/localhistory
<http://listserve.uwec.edu/localhistory> .

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu on behalf of Pat Konkle Sent: Wed 7/2/2008 2:39 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Compensation

Do you pay anyone to be at your museum or society building during open hours? If yes, how much per hour and what are their duties while there?

Our society formed in 2006 and we have been lucky enough to lease a brand new building, which was built for the society and paid for by a very generous member, who then donated the building to the Town. We moved into the building this spring and there is a lot of work to do, such as cataloging, organizing files, books, albums, displays, training others on new equipment, documenting procedures, scanning etc. Many of our board members and members are elderly and not able to do much of the work. We do have board members and members who volunteer some of their time, but they also have other commitments. As a result, the majority of work has been my responsibility. I currently volunteer an average of 20 hours per week, working on society needs.

Recently, the Board has been discussing the idea of paying me $10 per hour to be at the building a couple of days a week, so members and the general public can bring in artifacts and information, as well as tour the building and do some of their own research. I would be at the building during open hours to help people and to tackle the work that needs to be done.

We would appreciate your input.

Thank you,

Pat Konkle, President Freedom Area Historical Society
(located between Appleton & Green Bay)