Re: Marketing

Sauk County Historical Society (history@saukcounty.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:19:04 -0500

From: "Sauk County Historical Society" <history@saukcounty.com>
Subject: Re: Marketing
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:19:04 -0500

Mary See if your local hotels, campgrounds, parks and B&B's will take some to make available to their guests and so that they know you are there and will recommend you to guests asking for things to do. Check with any convention centers you may have nearby and yes the Chamber is a great resource. Our chamber shares whatever we give them with the Department of Tourism so that is taken care of. Also contact antique shops, and other museums in your area - do a trade of brochures to help each other out. Send a copy to travel agents and event planners in your area - most senior centers, nursing homes, banks and service clubs plan trips for their patrons. Get a copy to the Extension office and any other community development organizations so they are aware of what you offer and can spread the word. Also send a copy to local community college outreach offices and invite them to include you in programming they may offer. Other tourist attractions may take some for their guests too. Around here competition is fierce for the tourist dollar so we don't have that opportunity too often. Also send copies to the tv stations, radio stations, travel magazines or shoppers in your area so they know about you and suggest a feature story for their publication. Depending on what you feature in the house, organizations like quilters, china collectors, wrench collector clubs etc would like to know about you. Probably some of your members also belong to groups like that and if you ask in your newsletter they can lead you to the newsletter editors for these special interest groups. It's better to get the brochures to people who have an interest in what you represent than to just broadcast them everywhere. So take a look at what you offer, decide who would enjoy seeing it and try to get a brochure in their hands. Mary Farrell Stieve Sauk County Historical Society P.O. Box 651 531 Fourth Avenue Baraboo, WI 53913 608-356-1001 history@saukcounty.com www.saukcounty.com/schs
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mary Forer" <director@marathoncountyhistory.org> To: <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:42 AM Subject: Marketing