Re: ListServ Museum - Question re copying donated printed material

Don Jensen (dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com)
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:43:01 -0600

From: "Don Jensen" <dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: ListServ Museum  - Question re copying  donated printed material
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:43:01 -0600

I think not. Just as letters written from one person to another, similarly containing very personal thoughts, become the property of the recipient, who can freely make them public, or not, as he or she sees fit, yearbooks with personal messages inscribed also belong to the yearbook owner or his or her heirs.

If an institution properly acquires all rights from previous owners, through donation, this is not a problem.

Again, I feel we, as custodians of various elements of history, ought not to seek problems. We should keep our eye on the ball, and upon our responsibility to preserve history and to make it readily available to all.

If one begins to search for problems that do not present real or practical difficulties, we tend to paralyze ourselves and weaken our ability to succeed in our mission!

--Don Jensen Member, BoD Kenosha History Center