RE: art critic

Draeger, Jim R - WHS (Jim.Draeger@wisconsinhistory.org)
Tue, 31 Mar 2009 12:05:10 -0500

From: "Draeger, Jim R - WHS" <Jim.Draeger@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 12:05:10 -0500
Subject: RE: art critic

While selling reprints of historic images is often a way to bring in revenu e, I am troubled when the original images are sold off. I would suggest th at you begin by assessing why you are trying to sell off images. If they d o not fit your collecting interests, or needs, is there another historical institution that is willing or interested in taking them? Once photos are separated from their collection, they lose provenance and historical value,
 and are rarely ever reunited. If your interest is purely monetary, you ma y be just as successful selling reprints.

Unless your local photographer happened to be named Ansel Adams, these phot os may be less valuable than you think. As an example, an individual bough t the collection of a local Madison photographer named Angus McVicar, think ing that he could make money selling these photos one at a time to the owne rs of the present day buildings. He sold very few images and eventually Hi storic Madison Inc. purchase the remainder and donated them to the Wiscons in Historical Society.

This is just food for thought.

Jim

Jim Draeger Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer Wisconsin Historical Society 816 State Street Madison, WI 53706 Phone 608 264 6511 Email jim.draeger@wisconsinhistory.org<mailto:<mailto:jim.draeger@wisconsinhistory. org>
Web Site http://www.wisconsinhistory.org<http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/>

<mailto:jim.draeger@wisconsinhistory.org> Collecting, Preserving and Sharing Stories Since 1846
________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@ listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Marcie Braski Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 3:45 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: art critic

Where could I find an art critic or evaluator for photography? We have a p ortfolio of a local professional photographer's works. Would like to evalua te it as we do plan to sell some of the photos. The photos are haunting wit h much depth.

M A Braski, Pres. Knox Creek Heritage Ctr Brantwood