RE: List Serve FW: PastPerfect News: April 2009

Seymour, Janet I - WHS (Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org)
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:19:34 -0500

From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:19:34 -0500
Subject: RE: List Serve FW: PastPerfect news: April 2009

Thanks for the comments on Past Perfect. We are working to plan a few addit ional Past Perfect workshops, to try to accommodate these concerns and the growing number of affiliates who are using the software. Look for updated w orkshop and annual conference info on the web at www.wisconsinhistory.org/l ocalhistory<http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/localhistory>.

You can also use the list serve or the client list on Past Perfect's websit e to connect with others in the state, who might be experiencing some of th e same issues you are.

Thanks, Janet

Janet Seymour Field Services Representative - Northern Region Wisconsin Historical Society Voice: 715-836-2250

Collecting, Preserving, and Sharing Stories Since 1846

Review past messages at: http://listserve.uwec.edu/localhistory/

________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [ [localhistory-request@listser ve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Jim Laird [jimhope@charter.net] Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 7:46 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: List Serve FW: PastPerfect news: April 2009

I love PastPerfect software and the job that it does. Our society has used it since it first was available. I do want to warn small organizations with
 limited funds. They are starting to enforce their "get help" policies. It is over $400 a year to subscribe to their full time service. If you don't b uy that service they will charge over $80 for each time you call for help. There software is excellent, but problems arise. With our next problem we m ight just have to stop using it.

Regards,

Jim Laird, Waupun Historical Society
----- Original Message ----- From: Seymour, Janet I - WHS<mailto:Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org> To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu<mailto:localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 9:57 AM Subject: List Serve FW: PastPerfect news: April 2009

Information from Past Perfect Software, for those of you using the software
 or who are considering it.

Janet Seymour Field Services Representative - Northern Region Wisconsin Historical Society Voice: 715-836-2250

Collecting, Preserving, and Sharing Stories Since 1846 Review past messages at: http://listserve.uwec.edu/localhistory/

________________________________ From: PastPerfect Newsletter [news@museumsoftware.com] Sent: Sunday, April 05, 2009 11:14 PM To: Seymour, Janet I - WHS Subject: PastPerfect news: April 2009

[http://www.museumsoftware.com/graphics/pagebanner_reg.gif]<http://www.muse umsoftware.com/index.shtml>

________________________________

1. What's New! PastPerfect 4.0 Training CDs

PastPerfect 4.0 Training CDs are an affordable and convenient way to learn PastPerfect, whether you are new to the software or just need a refresher. They are a great way to learn at your own pace, anywhere you want. Plus, as
 new volunteers and staff join your organization, you will have a ready and
 consistent teaching tool at your fingertips.

Each CD includes basic catalog navigation information as well as detailed i nstructions for step-by-step operation of the software. There are hints to make data entry faster, easier and more consistent and suggestions for keep ing your data safe. Each Training CD is priced at $39 and includes FREE shi pping via US Mail.

"Cataloging Your Collection with PastPerfect 4.0," our first CD, is a best seller! It reviews processing collections from the moment a "man walks in w ith a box." Lessons include basic and advanced cataloging, attaching digita l images/multi-media files to records, and research methods.

Our second CD in the series, "Managing Contacts, Donations, and Membership with PastPerfect 4.0" is now available. It starts with basic setup and addi ng contacts. It will also teach you how to automate the repetitive tasks as sociated with good contacts management. Lessons include adding dues payment s, receiving donations, writing thank you letters, and recording volunteer hours. The "Lists and Labels" section shows you how to effectively use buil t-in lists and create your own lists using filter statements. "Managing Con tacts" helps you discover the power of an efficient contacts management sys tem that comes with your comprehensive and easy-to-use collections manageme nt software.

Coming soon on April 30, 2009! Our third CD in the series, "Researching and
 Reporting with PastPerfect 4.0," has everything you need to know about Pas tPerfect's researching and reporting components. The lessons begin with bas ic researching, then work into customizing reports, and demonstrating how t o create your own Report Maker reports. This CD has tools to help you take advantage of your PastPerfect data whether you are focused on Membership, F undraising, Collections, Exhibits or anything cataloged in PastPerfect.

Training CDs are available in the "Special Offer!" section at our online st ore. Please visit our website (http://museumsoftware.com/training.shtml) fo r more information or to place your order. Or please feel free to call us t oll free with questions 1-800-562-6080.

________________________________

2. Upcoming Training Sessions

PastPerfect Software offers opportunities to learn from live instructors th rough regional and online classes.

REGIONAL CLASS: Buffalo, NY - April 14-16 Hosted by the Buffalo Museum of Science April 14 and April 15 classes are currently SOLD OUT. April 14-Cataloging Collections; April 15-Managing Collections; April 16-Ma naging Membership and Fundraising Activities

ONLINE CLASS: April 21-23 "Cataloging Your Collection with PastPerfect 4.0"
 12:30-3:00 PM EST Hosted by PastPerfect Software, this online class covers the basics of coll ection management using PastPerfect 4.0 and includes a FREE copy of our new
 training CD, "Cataloging Your Collection with PastPerfect 4.0."

REGIONAL CLASS: Vancouver, WA - June 16-18 Hosted by the Clark County Historical Museum at the Washington State Univer sity-Vancouver campus June 16-Cataloging Collections; June 17-Managing Collections; June 18-Manag ing Membership and Fundraising Activities

________________________________

3. We'll see you at the conference!

AAM Museum Expo 2009, Philadelphia, PA - May 1-3 We hope to see you at booth #315!

AASLH Annual Meeting Exhibit Hall, Indianapolis, IN, August 27-28 Our staff, Brian Gomez and Jennifer Whitfield, are also part of a panel ses sion, "Building a Worldwide Audience for Your Collection," which will featu re the PastPerfect-Online and Virtual Exhibit products. See you at AASLH!

________________________________

4. Tech Tip - How do I use the Lexicon when cataloging CDs, DVDs, videotape s, and Blu-ray discs?

Although CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs are not included in the current versio n of Chenhall's Nomenclature (and therefore not in PastPerfect's Lexicon), you can add these terms as object names and assign them to an appropriate C ategory and Sub-Category. We suggest using the following object names to co nform to the Nomenclature's system of term that begins with a noun, followe d by an adjective descriptor.

Common Name Lexicon Object Name CD Disc, Compact DVD Disc, Digital Video Blu-ray disc Disc, Blu-ray

Since CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs can be used for audio, video, or data sto rage, we suggest adding these names in the Lexicon under "Category 6: T&E f or Communication," and under the sub-category "Other T&E for Communication.
" Then as you catalog these items, you can use the more common names in the
 Description and other fields. Researchers will still be able to find your
"DVDs" by keyword searches, and searches by title, creator, subject, etc.

Videotapes are magnetic tapes, just like compact cassettes (aka audio casse ttes) and magnetic tape for data storage. Since videotapes store images and
 sounds, we suggest that you add the object name "Tape, Magnetic" to the su b-category "Other T&E for Communication" in the category "T&E for Communica tion." The existing "Tape, Magnetic" object name is in the sub-category "Da ta Processing T&E."

Here are the steps to add object names:

1. On the Main Menu of PastPerfect, select the Setup Menu, then click the " Lexicon" button. 2. Under Main Category, click on “6: T&E for Communication.” Then under
 "Associated Sub-Categories," click on “Other T&E for Communication.” 3. Click the “Add Object” button at the top right of the screen. In the
 box to add a new item, type the suggested object name such as “Disc, Dig ital Video." Please click the "OK" button. 4. Once you have added the desired terms, exit from the Lexicon screen. Whe n you enter new catalog records, you will now be able to enter or select th ese terms from the Lexicon, and they will appear with the appropriate Categ ory and Sub-Category.

If you have questions, please call our support office at 1-800-562-6080, an d we will be happy to assist you.

5. Contact Information

Address: 300 North Pottstown Pike, Suite 200, Exton, PA 19341 Website: www.MuseumSoftware.com<http://www.museumsoftware.com> Sales & Product Information: 1-800-562-6080 or sales@museumsoftware.com<mai lto:sales@museumsoftware.com> Support: 1-800-562-6080 or support@museumsoftware.com<mailto:<mailto:support@museum software.com> Training: 1-800-562-6080 or training@museumsoftware.com<mailto:<mailto:training@mus eumsoftware.com> Data Conversions: 1-800-562-6080 or conversions@museumsoftware.com<mailto:c onversions@museumsoftware.com> To unsubscribe: www.museumsoftware.com/newsremoveform.php<http://www.museum software.com/newsremoveform.php> or email news@museumsoftware.com<mailto:ne ws@museumsoftware.com>

To unsubscribe please reply to this email with subject "UNSUBSCRIBE" or cal l 800-562-6080

Copyright © 2009 PastPerfect Software, Inc. All rights reserved.