Re: Funding

Kathleen Hart (harthouse9@yahoo.com)
Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:20:34 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:20:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kathleen Hart <harthouse9@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Funding

Kathy, next time put Historical Society in the subject. I almost deleted y ou because I was not familiar with your name. Kathleen -Greendale Histor ical Society

Some societies get subsidized by the community they live in. If you can work it out that is ideal. We do not get subsidized. We
 have membership dues and sell notecards and mugs and other items. We ar e putting together a calendar to sell for 2010 but we have events here wh ere we can sell them; a farmer's market, Village Days, Hay Days, Dickens Christmas. We have a tour of homes in September which brings in a few h undred $. We are writing grants for a special project to readapt our origi nal police and fire station buildings. Our operating expenses are minima l. We have a room that we work out of in the basement of the library wit h no rent. We use their phone line. So other than paper, printing, maili ngs etc., we have no expenses. I would try to convince the local govern ment that it would be worthwhile to allot a few hundred per month to your

efforts. Good luck. Kathleen

___ From: Kathy Laakso <kathyl@douglashistory.org> To: ListServe <local history@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 11:10:37 AM Sub ject: Funding

We're interested in knowing how other historical s ocieties are funded, whether private, county or city or mixture of them.

Can you help us out? Thanks.
  Kathy Laakso Douglas County Histo rical Society Superior, WI