RE: List Serve FW: New Museum Funds question

Monroe County Local History Room (mclhr@centurytel.net)
Fri, 6 Nov 2009 11:27:01 -0600

From: "Monroe County Local History Room" <mclhr@centurytel.net>
Subject: RE: List Serve FW: New Museum Funds question
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 11:27:01 -0600

Hello Cindy.

What an exciting opportunity! Of course, there are many factors to consider when planning museum space. For example:

--you've mentioned that you'll receive space for display and work areas-what about accounting for storage space? Museums grow and quickly outgrow their spaces. Plus, it always seems that when the public hears the news about your new building, more artifacts will come your way that you weren't even planning for. So, plan for growth, if possible!

--access issues: who will have access to the museum space? When will that access be available--during village office hours only? Will you have a separate entrance? Your own security system?

--who will take responsibility for insuring and protecting your collection?

--will your group be responsible for ongoing financial support of your area of the new building, such as with utilities and maintenance? Or are you just being asked to pay for your part of initial construction? Can you draft a budget of what estimated monthly/annual costs would be to run your museum once you are in this new building?

--since you will be paying towards construction, will you sign a lease agreement that will ensure that you'll always have a home in the new building (and not be asked to leave when they run out of space)?

Those are just some first thoughts that came to mind. I think you would benefit from speaking to other historical groups that share space within city/village/county/town buildings. Onalaska Historical Society, for example, has a large room in their library, as does the La Crosse Historical Society. They might be good to talk to and ask for other considerations when planning shared spaces.

Please forgive me if you've thought through all of this already. You can always call if you would like clarification about any of the points I made. Hope this helps.

Jarrod

Jarrod M. Roll

Director - County Historian

Monroe County Local History Room & Museum

200 West Main St.

Sparta, WI 54656

608-269-8680

www.MCLHR.org

  _____

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Bev Brayton Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 11:32 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: List Serve FW: New Museum Funds question

Contact the Hawkins (Wisconsin) Area Historical Society.

They are attached to the public library. One woman wrote a grant for
$300,000 to build the library AND rooms for the historical society.