Collections Policy

Peggy Derrick (pderrick@acegroup.cc)
Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:02:11 -0600

From: Peggy Derrick <pderrick@acegroup.cc>
Subject: Collections Policy
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:02:11 -0600

Dear Listserve members:

La Crosse County Historical Society is in the process of updating its Collections Policy. I am struggling to decide what to recommend in regard to approval of accessions and deaccessions, and I wonder if some of you could share how you deal with this particular issue.

Our old policy states the Board of Directors must approve them, but this has apparently not been the practice. I am aware that is the recommended professional standard, but I'm having a hard time understanding it. With my background as a public school board member, I see it as a case of policy setters (Board of Directors) assuming the role of policy implementers (Administration). Certainly it invites micromanaging.

I would never advocate that the curator alone make these decisions. In our institution layers of command over the curator would be the advisory Collections Committee (volunteers, with one Board representative), the Executive Director, the Executive Committee, then the Board of Directors. I am leaning towards recommending that the Executive Committee have final approval, as those Board members are the most engaged and aware of what actually goes on in a museum. I want us to get this right because LCHS is embarking on a cataloging/ survey project that will undoubtedly result in a fair amount of deaccessioning. I know this needs to be a transparent process that has the support of the entire institution, but at the same time I have reservations about involving what has historically been a very hands-off Board in the process.

So my question is: who at your institution approves accessions and deaccessions, and how is that working for you? Would it be unprofessional, or a big mistake, to recommend the Executive Committee approve these decisions? It is likely that the Board will approve whatever I and the Executive Director recommend.

Thanks for your advice and Happy Holidays.

Peggy Derrick, Curator La Crosse County Historical Society P.O. Box 1272 La Crosse WI 54602-1272 608-782-1980