Re: Scanning Documents

Don Jensen (dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com)
Mon, 5 Apr 2010 10:45:15 -0500

From: "Don Jensen" <dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Scanning Documents
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 10:45:15 -0500

Speaking more as a researcher than a museum board member -- and I am both -- I am not sure how or why an institution would charge when there is no additional service being performed. Assuming you don't charged for admission to your archives and let users read the documents and, perhaps, take handwritten or typed-on-a-computer notes, all for free, what then is the added service if they scan the documents. We charge if we make photocopies because that is a cost to the institution. Self-scanning adds no services or cost..

Having said that, though, there are some concerns about repeated light scanning of printed materials. Some institutions don't permit scanning or photocopying of rare books because of the possibility of the light source fading the print. With something really rare, you might need some sort of rules. Perhaps the institution can make a photo copy of some much desired printed material for the archives and users can scan or further photocopy the COPY rather than the original. Thus the original is subjected to bright light only one or a few times.

Don Jensen