Re: Scanning Documents

Russell Hanson (riverroadrambler@gmail.com)
Mon, 5 Apr 2010 14:59:12 -0500

Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 14:59:12 -0500
Subject: Re: Scanning Documents
From: Russell Hanson <riverroadrambler@gmail.com>

1. You should insist on getting a digital copy of all the documents they scan or photograph for museum use 2. You might require them signing a statement that says they may not use the copied information for profit without permission and attribution to the owner of the source and deal with charging at that time. 3. You might suggest a flat fee for copying rights -- i.e.so much per page or book. I have had that happen at a few places--the Olmsted MN Co Historical Society charges the same as if I made a copy on their copy machine.

Most places I go I take a digital photo of the items I want and have not been charged. I give a donation based on the value I think I received, at least $5 When I want to copy records from the Polk County Govt offices (not history/museum) I have to pay $1 per page and it must be on their copying machine. This irritates me as I would prefer just a snapshot of a few lines on a land record or other part of a page.

Russ Hanson Luck Area Historical Society Polk co WI