RE: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu

Seymour, Janet I (DYKEMAJI@uwec.edu)
Thu, 13 May 2010 11:39:42 -0500

From: "Seymour, Janet I" <DYKEMAJI@uwec.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 11:39:42 -0500
Subject: RE: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu

Many of you have had questions about possible implications with the IRS and other legal issues. I do want to mention that the Wisconsin Historical Society cannot provide legal or financial advice to our affiliates, but I can try to locate some information or resources for you from the appropriate sources, like the IRS.

We’ll send out any information we find to the list serve.

Thank you, Janet Seymour

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Roger Dooley Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:07 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: RE: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu

We record all donations on a Temporary Custody Receipt. After the collection committee decides to accept/reject, we generate a Deed of Gift for those things we intend to accept into the collection and make a return document for the things we don't want. We then sent two copies of the Deed of Gift to the donor for signature and return. Upon return, our President signs the Deeds signifying acceptance by the society and one completed copy is returned to the donor for their records and the other goes into our records.

It does seem a bit bureaucratic but--and I hope I've done my homework properly--when a donor signs a Deed of Gift, legal title for the entire donation transfers to the museum. None of the donated items can be returned to the original donor without violating IRS tax laws regarding tax deductions for donations to nonprofit organizations. Substituting a Deed of Gift for a Temporary Custody Receipt may reduce the paperwork but it may also make your organization liable for care of artifacts that you didn't really want.

Maybe someone with real legal knowledge could chime in on this subject! I formed my opinion from a soft cover book our founder picked up at a historical seminar somewhere. It may not be as authoritative as it appeared to this novice.

Roger Dooley

Once Was a Collection Manager

Monticello Area Historical Society

-----Original Message----- From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu]On Behalf Of Sauk-Prairie Area Historical Society Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 09:22 To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu

Hi ListServe,

Our Board of Directors is considering changing our procedure for accepting gifts for accessioning.

Currently the manager and the collection committee can take in items that seem to pertain to our mission statement. We give the donor a temporary custody form and enter the items into PastPerfect.

The collection committee meets to decide what we will actually accession and what should be returned to the donor. We then do the entry into PastPerfect, splitting the accession and the returned items, and notify the donors with the Deed of Gift and/or the information to pick up the items not accepted.

The proposed change is to require all donors to sign the Deed of Gift before we will accept anything. The purpose is to alleviate the temporary form step and to actually own everything up front, allowing us to sell or dispose of anything in our possession.

Could you please share how your organization handles donations and what your thoughts are regarding our proposed change?

Thank you for your important input.

Fauhn Breunig Museum Manager

Sauk Prairie Area Historical Society 565 Water St., Prairie du Sac, WI 53578 608-644-8444

www.saukprairiehistory.org