RE: Policy regarding interns

LCHS Curator (lchscurator@centurytel.net)
Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:32:22 -0500

From: "LCHS Curator" <lchscurator@centurytel.net>
Subject: RE: Policy regarding interns
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:32:22 -0500

Don:

Your assumptions are correct: I would never leave interns or volunteers I do not trust alone with artifacts. And by evaluate, I mean descriptions, photos and condition reports. And yes, I am spending several days working with them, getting them trained on how to handle objects, until I feel comfortable that they are ready to work without me. Of course I will be checking in with them frequently. I did feel that this project would not only go faster with a team of two but that two 20-year-olds would use better judgement than one working alone.

The two young women began their training yesterday, and I think they will do a fine job. My motivation for posting this query now is that others in the office are now questioning the wisdom of this plan. So I thought a reality check with our local history community was in order. Thank you for responding.

Peggy Derrick, Curator

La Crosse County Historical Society

P.O. Box 1272

La Crosse, WI 54602-1272

ph. 608-782-1980

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Don Jensen Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 3:59 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Policy regarding interns

I am not sure what you meant with a couple of terms. You mention not being sure you can trust them... I presume you mean trust them to make the appropriate decisions, vs. trust them not to steal artifacts. When you say they are being trained to evaluate, I presume you mean evaluate whether the object appropriately should be in your collection or deaccessioned, rather than mean assigning a dollar value to that particular object

My assumptions are based on idea that if you thought they might steal, you would never have them as interns. Also, if, by evaluate, if you meant dollars and cents, as perhaps for insurance purposes, of course I would never let untrained interns do that.

So, assuming my assumptions, to be reasonably certain they were properly idenifying objects and cataloging them appropriately, I would suggest working closely with the interns for two or three days. See that they understand exacty what procedures to follow, how and where to look to identify unknown objects, etc., etc. After two or three days, they should understand the basics. After that, they can use a cell phone to reach you in your more distant office if they have specific questions. Then, perhaps once a week, at random times, briefly drop in unannounced to see how things are going. Additionally, I would ask for weekly tally of what they had done, how many objects were catalogued, in which areas of the collection did they involve. Additionally, if you do, in fact, have regular volunteers who handle artifacts and are familiar with the cateloging process, perhaps they could spend some of the time working with, and watching over, the interns.

It is really great to have interns, even if they are only partially trained, to take on projects that the regular staff and volunteers never seem to have enough time to do.

--don jensen

kenosha history center BOD member.