Re: Civil War start 150th anniversary in 2011 -- ideas

Monette Bebow-Reinhard (moberein@yahoo.com)
Thu, 9 Sep 2010 18:10:31 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 18:10:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Monette Bebow-Reinhard <moberein@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Civil War start 150th anniversary in 2011 -- ideas

I've finished an 18-year book on Civil War and Indian wars through the view point of a soldier who I'm now thinking of impersonating - maybe I shoul d get that done in time for next year, even if I can't find a publis her in time.  I already check with the Wisconsin Humanities Council,
 though and they're not taking any new people on.  I'll just put wor d out here when I have something ready to present.

Monette
 Fre e chapter read of Bonanza Novels at www.bebow-reinhard.com

________________________________ From: sara steele <smsteele@wisc.edu>

To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Sent: Thu, September 9, 2010 8:36: 55 AM Subject: Re: Civil War start 150th anniversary in 2011 -- ideas

Hi Russ

I became interested in Cottage Grove's Civil War soldiers a bout ten years ago and began collecting information on them.  My profe ssional field is infomal adult and community educaiton, so I have lots o f suggestions. Your question is a great one and leads to a review of thi ngs other HS's are probably thinking about.  Or perhaps you are a jump
 ahead of others of us.

Backup Resources Is someone  at the state level, or a local HS, who has already covered this material, preparing l ists of CW resorces  HS's, local libraries,  and history teachers ca n access?
      1. speaker lists
      2. lists of books ab out Wisconsin in the Civil War--overview  and location or role specifi c
      3. preview of what the WHS, the Veterans Museum, and WHA
 have already got in stock or will be  making available on the interne t or DVD. For example
          will the excellent CW exjibit a t the VM be available in a form which could be shown locally to add to a
 local speaker?
      4. Electronic and print resources available f rom other sources such as other local Historical Societies, CD's from CW
 bands? Lists of CW songs?
      5. Enactor groups and dates of sch eduled enatation?  (Consider the possiblity of a bus trip to one, unle ss one is near by )
      6. Internet sites of CW battle locations,
 enactor groups, history of the CW
      7. Local Civil War hist orians, professional and amateur, whether or not they want to speak to g roups.  You may have a local expert in a nearby county and not know it
.

And speaking of togetherness, some regiments or batteries were made up of men from two or three counties.  Have you discovered whether you r soldiers are in such a regiment and if so are two HS's sharing?  For
 example, Captain Lou Druyr of the Third Artillery Battery had been an n ewspaper editor in Green Lake and Berlin.  Many of the men in his batt ery were from those areas., but five came form CG and I found William's diary in the WHS archives.

Folks in your group have probably found the y can access CW lists alphabetically and by regiment on the WHS site.
 Very helpful.  However, so far there isn't a statewide list by locali ty.

Yes, you question is about local activities.  However, sometimes
 working on something local, a question arises about a bigger area and b eing able to go quickly to a resource speeds up the process For exampl e, you find out that a local soldier you are going to spotlight particia pted in battle X.  You never heard of battle X, what campaign was it i n?  What happened there?

Planning There are lots of steps and ques tions that you and others have probably gone through as you decide what your HS is going to do, but here are a few that come to mind.

1. Br ing out and update your inventory of what you already have about local p articipation in the Civil War.  Such things as:

Human resources

  a. How interested are your society members?  Who in particular is mos t interested?
  b. What resources do you have among members or frien ds who might be willing to do certain things--track down missing informa tion, work on exhibits, skits, etc/

Informationi resources
  c. Ge nerally what coverage has there been of the Civil War in the past by your

group, the newspaper, local GAR chapter, etc,
  d. Was there some in dividual, company, or regiment from your area that was especially promin ent?
  e. How accurate is your list of CW participants from your area?

      a. Remember that the computer list at the Veterans Museum is
 done by post offices not by governmental divisions.  I forgot that ou r township  had two post offices, and had to play catch up after

         I had the counts made for an overall summary.  .

    b. Has someone checked that list against the 1860 census aviable th rough Ancestry at your local library?  If you find a lot of soldiers n ames that you can't find in the Census, you may need

  to look for informatioin on paid substittues.  The CW was done by

governmental unit quotas not on specific people having to report.

   c. The Veteran's Museum does not include  men who served in the regu lar Army,or, who for one reaons or enother (possibly because they were u nder age or the enlistment money was better)
          enlis ted and/or gave their residence as someplace  else.
      d. Are you limiting your attention to men who lived in your county when they en tered the war?  Or are you focusing on the CW veterans who lived in your

community at some time
          after the war (some of whom
 moved in after the war)?  or both?
      e. What do you know abo ut what was happening back home in your community while the men were at war?
      f. If your area had a newspaper int he 1860ss, are micro films available, and do you have access to a microfilm reader at the lib rary and a HS member patient enough to
          read, print
, and clip?  It's amazing how much there was in newspapers in the 1860 s.

Artifact resources
      a. Photos of CW soldiers from your
 area
      b. Photos of their famlilies or farms
      c. Diaries
      d. Penants, dishes, any other artifact known to have been used in the CW--description and  history of the cannon if your co mmunity has one.
        e. Has someone (probably a descendent in terested in history) ordered pension files from Washington?

  f. Newspaper fragments and newspaper clippings.

2. How much attent ion is your HS going to give to the Civil War?  Only provide info to o thers--history teachers, newspaper, etc--if asked? A few token things li ke a localized new release letting folks know you are aware of the anniv ersary? Or an indepth effort to try to help your public gain some unders tanding of something about the war.  If the latter, what spin or approach
  will yout take, for example?
  a. A general summary of: who took pa rt, ages, date they volunteered? which units, where they were fought?

.  b.  Spotligting a few local soldiers and telling their story persona l story from when their famliy settled in your area, until when they die d here or in a community farther west.  Much of the
        attention would be on how the Civil War fit into on going history.
  c.
 Looking at the Battle of ________, or __________Prison camp through the

eyes of a local soldier.  Much of the info would be about the battle o r the prison camp, but enough info
      would be given  about
 an indivdiual soldier or small group of local soldiers that it would be
 localized.
  d. other aspects like, "Why did they volunteer?  or som ething special like the training camp operated in your location --the ca valry trained some place in the Fox Valley, the artillery
      were down bhy Lake Michigan can't remember if it was Racine, Kenosha, or

partway in between,  what every day life and battle were like for men in the Infantry, Artillery, cavalry

3. When is your society going t o do something?  One big push at the beginning of the war?  One big push at the end of the war?  Various activities through the duration o i the War--next three or so years?

4.  Are you going to show and tel l?  Or do you want to try to involve youth and adults in doing things within or outside of your museum or other headquarters--contests, reques ts for information, photos, etc, unit for a youth group or American Legi on post..

You know all that, but a check list sometimes is reinforcing
.  I could go on and on with ideas. If you want to contact me indivdua lly, my address is smsteele@wisc.edu.  I wish I had a blog up and runn ing. I have found tracking CG'soldiers fascinating even though I still h ave relatively little interest in the CW.

Sara CGAGS (just outsid e Madison's east boundaries)

.
`