Re: membership dues

Paul Wolter (pawolter@gmail.com)
Mon, 16 May 2011 16:39:58 -0500

From: "Paul Wolter" <pawolter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: membership dues
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 16:39:58 -0500

The best thing we ever did was raise our membership prices AND make upper level categories. Our basic individual membership is $20 and then
$35 for family and then $50 for friend and up it goes to Benefactor at
$500. We offer no incentives for upper levels (no free mugs, no gimmicks). People will rarely write you a check with $20 for membership and $80 for a donation but they will send you a check for a $100 patron level membership. We do invite all of our $100 and up level members to our Christmas social and give any one who comes a free calendar but that is it. We also list everyone in our newsletter under their membership category. (by the way having a good strong newsletter highlighting good strong work on the part of your society is also key) We went from around
$3000 in membership dues ten years ago to $25,000 in memberships now. We have seen a slight fall of this year but nothing too bad. If people like you they will support you...give them the opportunity to give more. Also, if you want to look like a $5 membership organization then charge
$5 but if you want to look like a $20 organization then charge $20. What you do is important and it should be reflected in your membership prices.

Paul Wolter Sauk County Historical Society