Re: Listserve - new Educator Update e-newsletter from WHS

Michael Weynand (weynand@netwurx.net)
Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:28:47 -0500

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:28:47 -0500
From: Michael Weynand <weynand@netwurx.net>
Subject: Re: Listserve - new Educator Update e-newsletter from WHS

The future of our historical societies and the continuing of recording the important local events that will become local history are not just in our hands but, more importantly, in the hands of our children and grandchildren.

  I would like to challenge every local historical society to contact their local grade schools. Offer to work, in conjunction with their 4th grade teachers, to provide local and state history programs once or twice a month.

I provided a social history curriculum to our Neosho Grade School for each of those classes. I highly encourage everyone to be sure to make each class interesting and fun.

They first were challenged to discuss and define, "What is history"?. I tried to open their eyes up to history and the progressions of history.
(How one historic moment lead to another and up to modern times such as the telephone being one good example.)

We studied the local native Americans along with their language and culture. Each child, was given the assignment of defining themselves and arriving with a Native American name, in English, for themselves. Then they were given the translation sheet and wrote their name in the Winnebago language and were asked to pronounce their new name in the Native American language. They also listened to Native American music and learned the different steps performed at pow wows and how the first dance in a pow wow is normally one to honor the Veterans.

In another class, they brought in their yo yos and I taught them a few maneuvers while they also learned the history of Mr. Duncan and how Wisconsin provided the mass production of yo yos for the children of the world. (The Duncan yo yo is still marketed through Flambeau Plastics in Baraboo.)

When we turned the history page to the Industrial Revolution, I had the teacher bring in about 75 interlocking, multicolored and multi-shaped blocks. Before class began, I built about a 30 block "thing". After generally defining what the Industrial Revolution was, I asked for a volunteer to build a second "thing" completely identical in form and colors - all in five minutes. Three or four students tried and failed to make the second completely identical "thing" in 5 minutes. I then had them line up their desks in a semi-circle and gave each student one or two blocks. As I took my first "thing" to each desk, they placed their one or two blocks in the identical spot/s that the first "thing" had, matching all colors and shapes. They easily had the second built within those five minutes. I then rather dramatically told them that they had just formed an assembly line and that was the major change in methods of making "things" that created the Industrial Revolution.

Once the students are enthused and wanting to learn more about our local history, it is then time to have them tour our museum. Once the tour is over, the displays and items in the museum make great references. Ask the question, "Remember the __________ that you saw in the museum. Let's talk about that today."

It is imperative that our young comprehend and appreciate history in the development of their futures, therefore carrying on our current efforts.