Re: Question re Book Printing

sara m steele (smsteele@wisc.edu)
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:18:08 -0600

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:18:08 -0600
From: sara m steele <smsteele@wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Question re Book Printing

Thanks, Don.

Great material. I'm archiving it. So far I've avoided doing a book, but will find your message very helpful when I get around to the "farmer governor" who lived here from 1850 until after 1900.

You make a great point about how to fund a book. Books have a big upfront investment than the reports we do, which usually cost between $1 and $2 per copy. Societies usually have people with diverse talents. Some write, some market, some take care of other aspects of a project.

*Terminology
*One up-date in terminology. Your use the term "camera ready" copy is the same way I use "PDF file". Both terms mean the society has the material all ready to print. In the old days a printer photographed it and made plates. Now, everything is digital. To those who may not be familiar with how to prepare a PDF file, Microsoft Word does it for you when you go to "save as". PDF files are also very useful when sending many pages as an mail attachment. Contact me if you want to see a couple of pages from one of our reports in PDF form.

The thing I am not sure of is whether a printer keeps plates. Now that everything is digital, it is more likely the customer submits the PDF file again and it is a new print job. So be sure to ask about process and cost of repeat orders.

*Simpler projects A Historical Society shouldn't think that a book is the only, or the ideal way to go. Most societies can handle simpler projects more easily. The goal should be to get local information caught in an organized, usable, interesting, permanent form.

*Don, I know you were writing quickly and the focus on the message was on a book. I agree that a copy shop, spiral bound, 8 1/2 by 11 format is not a good choice for a book. However, it may be an OK choice for a simpler, much shorter print project. The specific topic reports we do are that size. They are a cross between a business report and a magazine, and, because one of our main targets is school children, being like the school workbook you mentioned has some advantages. The larger format is more welcoming of photos, has enough space that a 12 font works fine, and is much, much, easier to format. Such publications can be kept in file drawers or file boxes on a library shelf in permanent collections. In homes they function more like magazines. They are not as sturdy as a book, but after the first reading, they usually are not used frequently.

Some historical societies find such reports a good way to begin getting some of their local history information and photos brought together in print. Such publications can be prepared by one person or a small team, or every member can contribute. Our Society was very proud of a project where each person prepared a page on a topic of their own choice. A neighboring society produced one, with photos, about the farms their members lived on or had lived on. Such projects are good ways for a society to begin capturing what they have accumulated on paper (or jumping into the future, on DVDs). We found the coil binding, copy shop route fine for our first project. However, now that we have found a printer, who center staples and can use a sturdier cover, we like the product much better.

Sara smsteele@wisc.edu Cottage Grove Area Historical Society