Free Historic Preservation Workshop to be held in Marquette, Michigan

Wyatt, Amy D - WHS (Amy.Wyatt@wisconsinhistory.org)
Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:21:55 -0500

From: "Wyatt, Amy D - WHS" <Amy.Wyatt@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:21:55 -0500
Subject: Free Historic Preservation Workshop to be held in Marquette, Michigan

** This is a free workshop announcement on behalf of the Michigan Historic Preservation Network and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. **

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FREE HISTORIC PRESERVATION WORKSHOP TO BE HELD IN MARQUETTE

LANSING, MI: The Michigan Historic Preservation Network (MHPN) and the Sta te Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) are sponsoring a free two-day worksh op on the historic preservation of homes and small commercial buildings in April. The free workshop, which is open to the public, will be held at the
 Peter White Public Library, 217 N. Front St. on April 13 and 14, 8:30 am -
 5pm.

During the workshop, participants will meet leaders from the MHPN, the stat ewide non-profit organization for historic preservation and representatives
 from the Michigan State Housing Development Authority's SHPO. Information
 and demonstrations will be shared on how to rehabilitate and maintain hist oric homes or small commercial properties while protecting the historic cha racter, workmanship, and materials of the property. Specific topics includ e how to conduct a building assessment, lead paint safety practices, energy
 conservation and weatherization, and demonstrations of how to repair and r estore historic windows, masonry and wood elements.

Nan Taylor, the MHPN/National Trust for Historic Preservation Greater Michi gan Field Representative, is thrilled to be part of this workshop. Ms. Tayl or commented, "I've had the opportunity to work with a number of communitie s across Michigan, but I always look forward to working with the residents of the Upper Peninsula. The number of historic buildings in this part of t he state is incredible, and we are fortunate to be able to provide a means to assist those who are working to protect this important part of Michigan' s history."

MHPN Board Member and Architect and Principal with the Marquette firm of Sa nders & Czapski Associates, Ken Czapski, AIA, explained that "we have a gre at stock of historic buildings in the U.P. and there has already been some excellent restoration and rehabilitation work completed. In this workshop,
 we hope to provide even more individuals with information and knowledge th at will help them make sound decisions when working on their properties".

The two-day workshop will include box lunches and refreshments. Space is li mited and participants must register in advance. For more information or to
 RSVP, contact Michigan Historic Preservation Network at admin@mhpn.org<mai lto:admin@mhpn.org> or call 517-371-8080.

###

The MHPN is Michigan's statewide preservation organization and the advocacy
 and resource group for preservationists from all backgrounds. Founded in 1981, the MHPN has hosted its annual educational conference ever y year since it was founded, moving it around the state to reach more and m ore people each year. For more information about MHPN, please visit our web site at: www.mhpn.org<http://www.mhpn.org>.

Amy Hill Wyatt Digital Historic Preservation Coordinator Historic Preservation - Public History Wisconsin Historical Society 816 State Street Madison, WI 53706 Phone: 608.264.6506 Email: amy.wyatt@wisconsinhistory.org<mailto:<mailto:Emailamy.wyatt@wisconsinhistor y.org> Web Site: www.wisconsinhistory.org<http://www.wisconsinhistory.org> Collecting, Preserving and Sharing Stories Since 1846