RE: Using a picture of an object from museum

Kathryn Otto (kathryn.otto@uwrf.edu)
Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:30:28 +0000

From: Kathryn Otto <kathryn.otto@uwrf.edu>
Subject: RE: Using a picture of an object from museum
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:30:28 +0000

We mostly have archival materials and photographs, but you might find our f ee schedule useful as someplace to start and adjust to your own needs: http
://www.uwrf.edu/AreaResearchCenter/upload/Image-Permission-Fees.pdf . It i
s based on the Wisconsin Historical Society's photograph fee schedule.

Basically we ask who/what you are and what you are going to do with this im age (no matter if the image is of a photograph, or a manuscript page, or of
 an artifact). If you're a commercial publisher and plan on making lots of money, you're going to pay a higher fee; if you're a local historical socie ty, it's free. (Not specifically mentioned in our fee schedule is somethin g like a local History Day student, which would also be free.)

You definitely want your museum credited on anything that is published. Yo u can tell them exactly how you want it credited, too-ranging from your mus eum name in small letter along one side of the photograph to exactly how yo ur credit should read in a more elaborate citation in the formal photo cred its at the back of the publication. You can even ask for a free copy of th e publication, just so you can see exactly how they used your image in the finished product or because it's something you want to add to your library collection.

Don't forget to include the Internet as a form of publication.

Kathryn Otto University Archives and Area Research Center University of Wisconsin-River Falls

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@ listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Museum Director Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:06 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: RE: Using a picture of an object from museum

We have been talking about the same thing, but the item in question for us is a picture that a person wants to make buttons out of. We are going to b e talking it over at our next Board meeting at the end of the month and see
 what they feel is the best way to handle it. I will let you know what the y say.

Michelle Pedersen Polk County Museum Director

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu<mailto:<mailto:localhistory-request@l istserve.uwec.edu> [mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu]<mailto:
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu]> On Behalf Of Sara Nuernbe rger Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:44 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu<mailto:localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Subject: Using a picture of an object from museum

Our museum has received a request from someone who would like to take a pic ture of a clothing object that is in our collection. If this person intend s to use the picture in a publication do any of you charge a fee? Would yo u just ask that the museum be given credit by identifying the item is from your collection? Has anyone allowed any clothing items to be modeled and p hotographed and then used for a publication? We do not currently have any restrictions or policy in place about taking photos in our museum. I reali ze that each situation is unique, but any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you. Sara Nuernberger Board Member Taylor County Historical Society Medford, Wisconsin