Re: Using a picture of an object from museum

Rebecca DuBey (curator@saukcountyhistory.org)
Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:18:27 +0000

From: "Rebecca DuBey" <curator@saukcountyhistory.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:18:27 +0000
Subject: Re:  Using a picture of an object from museum

This is exactly the way I would suggest handling it with the addition tha t if it is used for scholarly work, the museum is entitled to a copy of t he work.

My concern would be with the modeling of the clothing. I would think twic e about some one living wearing the garment. There are a number of issues
 here: 1) perspiration from the person does affect the fabric; 2) be care ful that the person fits comfortably into the garment, don't squeeze a mo dern sized person into an undersized piece of clothing; 3) they must not be wearing any deodorant, perfume, earrings or watches that could catch o n the fabric; and 4) you must be there to help get into and out of the ga rment to insure the utmost care is taken, and to witness and prevent any damage.

Rebecca DuBey Curator, Sauk County Historical Society
-----Original Message----- From: Kathryn Otto [mailto:kathryn.otto@uwrf.edu] Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 01:30 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: RE: Using a picture of an object from museum

We mostly have archival materials and photographs, but you might find our
 fee schedule useful as someplace to start and adjust to your own needs: http://www.uwrf.edu/AreaResearchCenter/upload/Image-Permission-Fees.pdf .
 It is based on the Wisconsin Historical Society?s photograph fee schedul e. Basically we ask who/what you are and what you are going to do with this image (no matter if the image is of a photograph, or a manuscript page, o r of an artifact). If you?re a commercial publisher and plan on making lo ts of money, you?re going to pay a higher fee; if you?re a local historic al society, it?s free. (Not specifically mentioned in our fee schedule is
 something like a local History Day student, which would also be free.) You definitely want your museum credited on anything that is published. Y ou can tell them exactly how you want it credited, too?ranging from your museum name in small letter along one side of the photograph to exactly h ow your credit should read in a more elaborate citation in the formal pho to credits at the back of the publication. You can even ask for a free co py of the publication, just so you can see exactly how they used your ima ge in the finished product or because it?s something you want to add to y our library collection. Don?t forget to include the Internet as a form of publication. Kathryn Otto University Archives and Area Research Center University of Wisconsin-River Falls From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-reques t@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Museum Director Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:06 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: RE: Using a picture of an object from museum

We have been talking about the same thing, but the item in question for u s is a picture that a person wants to make buttons out of. We are going t o be talking it over at our next Board meeting at the end of the month an d see what they feel is the best way to handle it. I will let you know wh at they say. Michelle Pedersen Polk County Museum Director From:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu[mailto:localhistory-request@ listserve.uwec.edu]On Behalf Of Sara Nuernberger Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:44 PM To:localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Using a picture of an object from museum

Our museum has received a request from someone who would like to take a p icture of a clothing object that is in our collection. If this person int ends to use the picture in a publication do any of you charge a fee? Woul d you just ask that the museum be given credit by identifying the item is
 from your collection? Has anyone allowed any clothing items to be modele d and photographed and then used for a publication? We do not currently h ave any restrictions or policy in place about taking photos in our museum
. I realize that each situation is unique, but any thoughts or suggestion s would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sara Nuernberger

Board Member

Taylor County Historical Society