Re: Using a picture of an object from museum

Brian Bigler (usemeum@mhtc.net)
Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:53:25 -0500

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:53:25 -0500
From: Brian Bigler <usemeum@mhtc.net>
Subject: Re: Using a picture of an object from museum

Because it cost money to maintain the objects in a museum and in an archive we do charge for any photos be they copies of original photographs or images of objects or manuscripts. These fees are used to support the purchase of acid free archival supplies, etc. All photos should credit the organization and negative or museum numbering should also be included in the credit. These charges are based on various conditions of use. A good example of fee schedules can be found on the Wisconsin Historical Society's website in the area of ordering images.

Following strict museum practices no clothing items in the collections of the Mount Horeb Area Historical Society are ever worn. Textiles and other objects should further be handled with gloves once they are added into the collections. Humans have oils and acidic residue on skin surfaces which will rub off on textiles, photos, museum objects, etc. Over time these elements will damage the surfaces of fragile materials.

Sincerely,

Brian J. Bigler, President Mt. Horeb Area Historical Society 138 East Main St. Mt. Horeb, WI 53572
(608) 437-6486