Possible Archives Workshop

Danielle Spalenka (dspalenka@niu.edu)
Thu, 05 Dec 2013 14:11:48 -0600

Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 14:11:48 -0600
From: "Danielle Spalenka" <dspalenka@niu.edu>
Subject: Possible Archives Workshop

Good afternoon,
  The Regional History Center at Northern Illinois University and the Society of American Archivists are collaborating on a possible general archival knowledge workshop entitled “Archives: Principles and Practices.” The workshop will take place at the Holmes Student Center on NIU's DeKalb campus and will be hosted by the Regional History Center
(date TBD). We are surveying possible participants to see if there might be any local interest in attending this workshop. While we are not in Wisconsin, we are nearby to many local historical societies in southern Wisconsin -- we are just two hours south of Madison. I've included a brief description of the workshop taken from the Society of American Archivist's website to explain the course. The costs would be as follows (this is a two-day workshop):
  SAA Member $289 / $349 Employees of Member Institutions $329 / $389 Nonmember $379 / $429 The two price tiers are before the early bird deadline (one month before the workshop)/after the early bird deadline.
  Please let me know if there is interest in attending - this is just a survey so enrollment is not guaranteed. Feel free to forward to others that might have an interest in this workshop. Thank you for your time.
  Danielle Spalenka Curator, Regional History Center Northern Illinois University DeKalb, IL 60115
(815) 753-9394 dspalenka@niu.edu
  Below description taken from the Society of American Archivist website: http://www2.archivists.org/prof-education/course-catalog/understanding-archives-an-introduction-to-principles-and-practices-0 Although archivists have much in common with librarians, records managers, and museum staff, they must use different practices to protect the integrity of historical records. A strong archives program puts into practice long-standing archival principles. What are those principles and how are they implemented? This workshop provides an overview of the core archival functions of appraisal, accessioning, arrangement and description, preservation, reference, and access. Workshop Objectives:
· Learn the terminology of archives and historical records and get an overview of the body of knowledge needed, ethical responsibilities, and resources for continuing professional development;

· Learn the principles and functions of archival organization: provenance, respect de fonds, and original order;
· Find out about core policy statements, professional standards, and best practices;
· Learn how to evaluate an individual program and determine needed improvements;
· Develop the knowledge base needed to make choices for balancing access to and preservation of historical records and holdings; and
· Gain a greater understanding of the role of the archives in fulfilling the mission of the institution. Who Should Attend? Librarians, records managers, museum staff, and administrators who have responsibility for archival records but little or no archives training. Responses to "what aspect of the workshop was most valuable to you?" included:
· "Practical examples were helpful. Also step-by-step instructions about processing and documentation were helpful and practical, good level of detail." - Abigail Sugahara
· "Clearly demonstrated concepts of provenance and original order to the point where I am beginning to think like an archivist, rather than a librarian." - Robert Clymer
· "The booklet handout was ideal: slides, examples, templates. They did a great job condensing a library school archives specialization curriculum into two days without losing meaning or overwhelming us."
· "Visuals and explanations. Also examples helped pull together points I wasn't clear on." - Frances Scott