RE: Recognition Wall memorial and donors

Rita Frakes (rita42@centurytel.net)
Sun, 13 Mar 2016 10:36:18 -0500

From: "Rita Frakes" <rita42@centurytel.net>
Subject: RE: Recognition Wall memorial and donors
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 10:36:18 -0500

Hi Russ,

Our museum has boards made of cut slabs from trees, vertical cuts with the bark layer along the two outer vertical edges with a finish coat applied. The boards have small(1"x3") brass name plates with each person recognized. We have had to add more boards as the lists of donors have grown.

One board is: In Memory Of, for persons deceased whether members of the society or not. Plaques for them go on the board when donations to the society were received after their passing.

Another board is for Lifetime Members. Any time a life time membership is paid to the society the plaques with the name of that person is put on the board.

These boards hang in a prominent place in the museum.

We do not have any kind of board for the donors of artifacts, photos and paper archives as that would be huge. On a regular basis we do list this info in our newsletters which we send out 1-3 times a year. These people also get a personal mailed thank you.

We have an annual fund drive to raise money for my part time paid position as curator. It is the Benefactor Fund and each year the donors to it have their names listed in a frame in the museum and the names are listed in our newsletters. They also receive a personal mailed thank you.

Several years ago a deceased display chairperson was recognized after she passed away, with her photo and a small plaque near the public restroom in our museum. Memorial money donated after she passed was used to completely renovate this small restroom, the only one we have. Now when I think about it, it seems kind of funny to have her recognition photo and plaque near the restroom, but it was a much needed project and she complained about that old, awful bathroom several times. We were able to enlarge it and make it more handicapped accessible with wider door and new fixtures, and more which was a wonderful improvement.

Our website is fairly new, www.mazomaniehistory.org but our newsletters are on it so the information about donors for memorials, memberships and the benefactor drive, and to our collections, are included there.

In my column in the most recent newsletter I briefly mention the passing of one of our most current display persons but something like that could certainly be expanded like you have suggested.

I hope this is helpful; contact me if you have additional questions.

Rita Frakes, Curator Mazomanie Historical Society Home-608-795-4355

-----Original Message----- From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Russ Hanson Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 10:33 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Recognition Wall memorial and donors

Anyone have ideas how to do a permanent display for donors in our museum?
  We also want to do a memorial display for those who have served the historical society.
  We have bricks outside you can buy with your name as a fund raiser, but want an in-the-museum recognition display. We have wall space available. The purpose is not only recognition, but to encourage donations too.
   Also thinking about some kind of recognition page on our website -- where you could find out more about the person including photos, biography and their service to the HS.

--
Russ Hanson
Board member and volunteer