Re: Safe storage of fire grenades

Bill Schuette (wschuette1@frontier.com)
Tue, 4 Oct 2016 15:58:58 -0500

From: "Bill Schuette" <wschuette1@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: Safe storage of fire grenades
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 15:58:58 -0500

Katie, This is what we did. WARNING: It may not be the best solution for you, or anyone else, and may not be recommended as a safe method to dispose of this material. We have the same grenades in our collection. After going through a long procedure (some suggested getting a HASMAT team to deactivate them!), I finally removed the carbon tetrachloride myself. I carefully drilled a hole through the plaster in the top (be careful not to break the glass), poured the contents into a glass jar, poured water into the grenade, and emptied that also into the glass jar, and sealed the top with a cap. Use rubber gloves, and do the job outdoors. Stay upwind when you do this. I packed it securely in a box, labeled it, and took it to the hazardous materials recycling event we have here in Sauk County several times a year. Hope this helps. Bill

From: Katie Kirby Sent: Monday, October 03, 2016 9:16 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Safe storage of fire grenades

Hi all,

Do any of you have fire grenades in your collections? How do you ensure the safety of your visitors and staff, especially if you do not know if the contents inside is just salt water or oxygen-sucking carbon tetrachloride?

We have two on display in a not-so-safe location in a non-winterized building (do they even freeze?). I would like to keep them in the collection, but I'm considering deaccessioning them if I cannot find a safe solution.

Please advise!

Thanks, Katie