RE: Safe storage of fire grenades

Mike Weynand (weynand@netwurx.net)
Tue, 4 Oct 2016 16:25:21 -0500

From: "Mike Weynand" <weynand@netwurx.net>
Subject: RE: Safe storage of fire grenades
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 16:25:21 -0500

Our museum acquired some fire grenades years ago. Assume all fire grenades to have hazardous carbon tetrachloride content. If you still wish to have them on premise/display, I would suggest that you find a local fire extinguisher company and ask them of the safest means of maintaining them. One question you might ask is if they could safely drill a hole in the bottom of the glass canister and drain whatever fluid you have in them. I would anticipate the answer to be
“no”. The next question would be to ask them if they could safely dispose of the canister and contents.

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Katie Kirby Sent: Monday, October 3, 2016 9:16 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Safe storage of fire grenades

Hi all,

Do any of you have fire grenades in your collections? How do you ensure the safety of your visitors and staff, especially if you do not know if the contents inside is just salt water or oxygen-sucking carbon tetrachloride?

We have two on display in a not-so-safe location in a non-winterized building (do they even freeze?). I would like to keep them in the collection, but I'm considering deaccessioning them if I cannot find a safe solution.

Please advise!

Thanks, Katie