Re: Doing research on Curators/Guides

Vern Magee (vmagee@wi.rr.com)
Fri, 14 Jul 2017 22:50:16 -0500

Subject: Re: Doing research on Curators/Guides
From: Vern Magee <vmagee@wi.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 22:50:16 -0500

The Geneva Lake Museum is open 7 days a week from 10 to 4 from Memorial Day to Labor Day. In the fall and spring we are open 5 days a week from 11 to 3 and in the winter we are open 4 days a week from 11 to 3. Because we are such a tourist town, this works for us.

We have 2 employees that work the front desk to greet visitors, take the admissions, and handle the small gift shop. One works from 10 until 1 and the other from 1 until 4. We have a third person who is trained to help out when one of the regular employees is unavailable. We also have a paid Director of Administration and a Director of Operations and Exhibits. They work part time flexible hours. We have quite a few volunteers that do a variety of things such as docents, people who work on the computer for membership, exhibits, etc.

Staff at the front desk are paid hourly and the Directors salaried. I am not sure of the amount they are paid. For 5 years we had a volunteer that served as our Director and created exhibit ideas with a 'team' of volunteers to help her carry out her ideas. She is responsible for putting us on the map so to speak. Recently she retired and we are trying to use some of the ideas she taught us to continue the high quality of exhibits that we have had. It was her idea to have temporary exhibits which open in the spring and run until the following January. We then take down that exhibit and work on the next one, opening again in the spring. Three years ago we had an exhibit on underwear, which was well researched and very educational. It was called 'Undressed'. The second year we did Chairs, which was fun, and you can't imagine how many chairs we collected to display for 9 months! Last April, Shoes opened and will be here until January 6, 2018. We have a wonderful collection of shoes and button hooks to see. There are infant shoes, doll shoes, historic men's and women's shoes, work shoes, a time line of shoes, etc. There are several videos that run continually that entertain our guests. If you live somewhat close to Lake Geneva, I invite you to come and see it. It is fabulous!

This volunteer also started a program that has been outstanding for us, called Tuesday @ 2. Every Tuesday, we have someone speak on a different subject from 2 until 3. We tie these speakers into history in some way; we have done this for the past about 4 years. We never pay the person speaking; it is free to our members and $5 for non members. However, we have gotten so many members because we charge $15 a year for a senior membership and explain to them they might as well pay $15 and then they can come anytime they want for the next year. We now have over 600 members, of course most of them are paying the senior rate. There are other categories for membership and also a Life Membership which is $500 per person. Children under 18 are always free. We serve coffee and cookies at these workshops which is always well received. We put a donation jar out and it helps pay for the coffee and cookies.

Please contact me for any additional information. I have been a volunteer for 14 years and have served as an officer or board member most of those years. Vern Magee vmagee@wi.rr.com