Re: Question about apps for iPad in museum exhibits - recommendations?

russhanson (russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net)
Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:14:47 -0500

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:14:47 -0500
From: russhanson <russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net>
Subject: Re: Question about apps for iPad in museum exhibits - recommendations?

On 2017-10-11 13:40, Gilman, Alice wrote:
> If I had to do it quickly, I would use an image gallery app dedicated
> to the presentation and a security (parental) control app, such as the
> Kids Place App, to control which apps can be opened on the home
> screen.
>
> Wendy Stone
>
> Program Coordinator
>
> New London Public Museum
>
> 406 S. Pearl St.
>
> New London, WI 54961
>
> 920.982.8520
>
> http://www.newlondonwi.org/museum
>
> LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE!
>
> FROM: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
> [mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] ON BEHALF OF JANET
> IRENE SEYMOUR
> SENT: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:49 AM
> TO: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu
> CC: Director
> SUBJECT: Question about apps for iPad in museum exhibits -
> recommendations?
>
> Please see the question below - and share your suggestions! Thanks,
> Janet
>
> The Waupaca Historical Society will be purchasing an iPad and stand in
> the next months, thanks to a generous donation. We are planning to put
> photos and histories of the Chain O'Lakes on this iPad. While most of
> this information and photos/postcards are available and scanned, I am
> not sure where to start in terms of a program/app or website that
> people that scroll through on the iPad. I need some sort of platform
> to utilize on the iPad (something user friendly and relatively easy to
> create/build) to put these photos and information into for people to
> look through. Any ideas or suggestions of where to start?
>
> Tracy Behrendt
> Director
> Waupaca Historical Society
>
> Janet Seymour, Northern Region
>
> Local History-Field Services
>
> Office of Programs and Outreach
>
> Wisconsin Historical Society
>
> c/o Department of History, UW-Eau Claire
>
> 105 Garfield Avenue Eau Claire WI 54701
>
> 715-836-2250
>
> janet.seymour@wisconsinhistory.org
>
> WISCONSIN HISTORICAL SOCIETY
>
> COLLECTING, PRESERVING AND SHARING STORIES SINCE 1846 [1]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/?utm_source=Email%20Signatures&amp;amp;amp%3Butm_medium=email&amp;amp;amp%3Butm_campaign=si

Search on the internet for Museum ipad kiosk app or museum kiosk app and you will find suggestions.

I wonder if a large touch screen all-in-one computer mounted on a stand might not work better -- cheaper and bigger and not very likely to be stolen. Search on kiosk all-in-one touchscreen to see about that.
  I am planning something like that for a new dairy display we are creating at the Luck WI museum.

Russ Hanson Sterling Eureka and Laketown Historical Society Cushing, WI (NW WI).