Offensive names

William Schuette (wschuette1@frontier.com)
Fri, 16 Feb 2018 18:11:31 -0600

From: William Schuette <wschuette1@frontier.com>
Subject: Offensive names
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 18:11:31 -0600

We have old settler's articles and newspaper stories on our Web site from the late 1800s and early 1900s, which contain a few derogatory names for African Americans and Native American females. How do other organizations treat such occurrences? Do we leave them as written with the understanding  that the usage was based on the time period, perhaps with a caveat at the beginning of the article explaining why they were retained? Or do we delete these references and put a bracket [  ] with an explanation as to why the words have been excised?

Bill

Sauk County Historical Society