Re: Subject File Categories

Sara Steele (smsteele@wisc.edu)
Sun, 18 Feb 2018 20:19:49 -0600

Subject: Re: Subject File Categories
From: Sara Steele <smsteele@wisc.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 20:19:49 -0600

Hi Paul

I'm going to mount a soap box as I respond to your question. Bottom Line:  If your Society has defined what aspects of local history it gives priority, then your files headings should occur naturally from the decision of what subjects you give priority to in your collecting.  Ours hasn't made those decisions.  WE do not have an agreed upon framework..

*Our categorization keeps growing*

When I began wanting to find photos in our photo collection, I began organizing a listing of those photos  based on the subjects of the photos as they came in.  I think the first two categories were horses and weddings. So our category of image content simply grew with no direction or restrictions. Until lately no checking for what is missing.  I was a bit surprised to realize that we had more photos of the horses that had lived in this township than of the elected officials.  Our categories within the main topic of government were added recently and I have been working harder to preserve images in those categories.

As I have continued to work with and use the images (we now are approaching 10,000 images), I added a category for each five or so similar photos that came in.  We now have an outline of about 20 main topics with sub topics under several. (See the attached). For example, our business category is now divided into several categories as you can see on the attached sheets.  One of them is retail. Retail is then divided into subcategories--stores, taverns and restaurants, filling stations, dentists, etc.

Each of our images are numbered and are listed under the appropriate category by number and a brief phrase. The people who appear in an image are listed by name and number alphabetically in the people index.So it is fairly easy to locate and use a photo.

Now I work only with images.  However, I followed something somewhat similar when I was text archives and set up our clipping files.  Although we ran into soft issues like whether obits should be filed alphabetically or by date.

*What are the most important parts of a local community's history?
*

Our HS has never decided or even discussed what subjects we think should be included and/or prioritized *. *Now for the soap box encouraging the thoughtful discussion and development of a framework of what constitutes the main elements of a community's history..  How do we define what local history includes?  One view would be that it is primarily those things which involve or affect *several people*: elected bodies and their departments , organizations, businesses and employers, schools, churches, etc. Another view would be like the one that the museum section of our organization has taken.  It focuses on things which have been used by *local people *regardless of whether they relate to a larger part of the community.  Part of our image collection, including pets and clothing and some of the images of real objects, follows that line of thinking.

And then there is the question of the extent we should focus only on man made history, or if we should also develop a branch which preserves images and information about the natural history of the area? I'm currently taking photos of our drumlins and whats on them. After  listening to the weather forecast I pulled out a couple of Icy photos from 1976 for our Facebook page post tomorrow..

Yes, each local group needs to adjust priorities to both fit its community and the interests of those workers who are willing to work on collections, but it might help to have a suggested set of community history components to work from.  But not something as complex and binding as the library system (Word perfect or whatever it is called) that was encouraged a few years ago.

*Clippings*

Speaking of clippings, which societies are  considering building electronic rather than paper clipping files?  Such files certainly may be easier to deal and will take a lot less space than physical ones are.  However, because they are easier to deal with, some kind of organization system becomes even more important. So Paul we are back where we started from.

Thanks for raising the question.

Sara from CGAHS

.