Re: Subject File Categories

James Cermak (jameseff41@gmail.com)
Sun, 18 Feb 2018 21:16:02 -0600

From: James Cermak <jameseff41@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 21:16:02 -0600
Subject: Re: Subject File Categories

 As a retired college professor, now on the board of the Butternut Area Historical Society, we spent 40 years teaching that the key to the best communication strategies are those which serve the intended audience. Choose the 'audience' for which you would like to be most effective and choose your designations to serve that end. This is an excellent question, denoting a concern for the most reasonable evaluation. Do not choose based upon a strictly traditional and historical perspective. Choose the 'tool' that best accomplishes the task at hand, now and for the future.

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 9:32 PM, Paul Wolter <pawolter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am wondering how different historical societies and research centers
> have their files organized. We have subject files for various newspaper
> clippings and documents on a number of subjects but they are in need of
> some order. For example instead of a section titled "Restaurants", each
> restaurant is filed under its own name. We would like to create macro
> categories but are wondering what they might be..."businesses" seems too
> broad and yet "appliance stores" seems too detailed. Do you use "car
> dealers" or "automobile dealerships"? Does anyone have a list of their
> subject file categories?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul Wolter
>
> Sauk County Historical Society
>
> *Jim Cermak*
*Arts Referral Service​ & Butternut Area Historical Society and Mus eum​*
*W 9710 Meier Rd*
*Butternut, Wi 54514-9051*
*715-769-3245*
*"I have three spectators: one who is deaf as a carpet, another who is blind as a mole, and another who is intelligent--more than anyone in the world, fine, sensible, spiritual, but doesn't understand a word of my language. It's a matter of convincing all three." Lucien Guitry, film director*