Re: Can anyone identify this?

Rebecca DuBey (curator@saukcountyhistory.org)
Wed, 16 May 2018 15:48:13 +0000

From: "Rebecca DuBey" <curator@saukcountyhistory.org>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 15:48:13 +0000
Subject: Re:  Can anyone identify this?

 Thank you for posting the solution to this strange object; I love it whe n we can all learn from what others have in their collections that we mig ht never run across! Rebecca DuBey Curator, Sauk County Historical Society Baraboo, Wisconsin 53913
-----Original Message----- From: djtotten [mailto:djtotten@earthlink.net] Sent: Monday, May 14, 2018 10:46 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: FW: Can anyone identify this?

Russ Hanson, Sterling Eureka and Laketown Historical Society, suggested o ur mystery object is a smudge pot fire starter and I agree. Below is one of many offered on eBay. Asking prices range from about $20-$50. The "masher" I described may be soapstone that absorbs fuel, such as kero sene, placed in the vessel. Thank you Russ!

David Totten President, Board of Directors New Berlin Historical Society www.newberlinhistoricalsociety.org djtotten@earthlink.net 262-643-8855

From: djtotten [mailto:djtotten@earthlink.net] Sent: Friday, May 11, 2018 5:15 PM To: 'localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu' <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Subject: Can anyone identify this?

A member brought in for identification a well-made vessel, about 6 inches
 tall, with a "masher" as shown in the photos. The masher base may be cer amic?

Any ideas?