Re: Letter in support of historic tax credit application

Douglas County Historical Society (dchs@douglashistory.org)
Tue, 3 Sep 2019 18:32:13 -0500

From: Douglas County Historical Society <dchs@douglashistory.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 18:32:13 -0500
Subject: Re: Letter in support of historic tax credit application

I worked with a property owner in the redevelopment of a large historical building here in Superior. In this case it was already on the historic registry but we did work with them regarding the WI tax credits and the sale of those. It was a significant amount for the credits that we sold them for them and retained a closing fee then we loaned them the proceeds in a forgivable note. The advantage is because we are a non-profit the sale of the tax credits is federally a non-taxable sale. Often owner can use up the tax credits themselves in a short period of years. That was not the anticipated result in this case it was more advantageous to sell the credits.

As for endorsing the application consider all the factors. How many years in existence? Have generations of families come to the resort? Have generations worked at the resort? I think history goes beyond the structure types to make them historically significant. Why were they built the way they are? Was the style adopted from another region or ethnic group in the area?

Jon Winter Douglas County Historical Society 1101 John Avenue Superior WI 54880 Business Manager 715-392-8449