RE: Looking for Replacement Logs for Our Log Cabin

Askin, Tim (Tim.Askin@milwaukee.gov)
Mon, 16 Mar 2020 13:21:07 +0000

From: "Askin, Tim" <Tim.Askin@milwaukee.gov>
Subject: RE: Looking for Replacement Logs for Our Log Cabin
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 13:21:07 +0000

Seconded. Milwaukee is about to cut down most of its ash trees, so there will be much for the taking if ash is adequate to the job. https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2020/03/12/city-hall-milwaukee-will-cut-down-900-of-its-ash-trees/

Tim Askin, Senior Planner Historic Preservation Commission City of Milwaukee 414-286-5712 Tim.Askin@Milwaukee.gov<mailto:Tim.Askin@Milwaukee.gov>

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of David Drake Sent: Friday, March 13, 2020 7:00 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Looking for Replacement Logs for Our Log Cabin

When we needed logs to build the schooner Denis Sullivan, we connected with the Milwaukee Forestry Dept. and they saved some trees they were cutting down anyhow for us. I would think the City of Oak Creek would have some kind of tree-trimming/cutting department as part of city maintenance.

Might be a place to get some logs or at least some ideas of who to go to. I would also think Old World Wisconsin has had to replace logs and knows a source.

DHBD

David HB Drake Organic Arts Ltd. / 414-702-6053
· For calendar, programs, and information on David visit: www.davidhbdrake.com<http://www.davidhbdrake.com>

· For YouTube videos go to www.youtube.com<http://www.youtube.com> /Search "David HB Drake" and "MrDHBD"
· For more Organic Arts master performing artists visit: www.performingartsmilwaukee.com<http://www.performingartsmilwaukee.com>
"One can be both entertained and educated and not know the difference" -Mark Twain-

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 4:41 PM Peter Schumacher <plschu@sbcglobal.net<mailto:plschu@sbcglobal.net>> wrote: The Oak Creek Historical Society has a 1844 log cabin as part of our pioneer village. Some of the logs on the north-facing wall are degrading and need to be replaced.

We need logs roughly 10 to 15 inches wide and about 20 feet long.

Does anyone know of a source for vintage or new logs?

Pete Schumacher Oak Creek Historical Society The City of Milwaukee is subject to Wisconsin Statutes related to public records. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law, senders and receivers of City of Milwaukee e-mail should presume that e-mail is subject to release upon request, and is subject to state records retention requirements. See City of Milwaukee full e-mail disclaimer at www.milwaukee.gov/email_disclaimer