Fw: CARES Act Relief Grants: First Deadline is this Friday

JANET IRENE SEYMOUR (janet.seymour@wisconsinhistory.org)
Wed, 13 May 2020 19:41:50 +0000

From: JANET IRENE SEYMOUR <janet.seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>
Subject: Fw: CARES Act Relief Grants: First Deadline is this Friday
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 19:41:50 +0000

Reminder! First CARES Act relief grants from the Wisconsin Humanities Counc il - due this Friday.

From: Jessica Becker <jessica.becker@wisconsinhumanities.org> Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 7:59 PM To: JANET IRENE SEYMOUR <janet.seymour@wisconsinhistory.org> Subject: CARES Act Relief Grants: First Deadline is this Friday

"It's very important for us as cultural organizations to help our communiti es move forward from this pandemic." -Jane Lang, Neenah Historical Society
[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/56baaeca5a19753a061c197ba/images/afd12c2e-84 fe-46f7-a069-24badbafeec8.png]<https://wisconsinhumanities.us8.list-manage. com/track/click?u=56baaeca5a19753a061c197ba&id=0761442e52&e=5a40f0607 f>
View this email in your browser<https://mailchi.mp/26e86df3f5f1/strengtheni ng-communities-today-4913005?e=5a40f0607f>
[https://mcusercontent.com/56baaeca5a19753a061c197ba/images/6aad1da5-f89c-4 220-be9a-bffbaa034f23.jpg] <https://wisconsinhumanities.us8.list-manage.com
/track/click?u=56baaeca5a19753a061c197ba&id=0679f660da&e=5a40f0607f> Wisconsin's Cultural Organizations Lead the Way

REMINDER: Applications for our first round of Wisconsin Humanities CARES Re lief Grants<https://wisconsinhumanities.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u
=56baaeca5a19753a061c197ba&id=167d8f358a&e=5a40f0607f> are due this F riday, May 15th at 4:30 PM. Stay tuned for information about the next deadl ine coming up this summer.

We are so impressed by the ways people around the state are stepping forwar d to meet today's challenges. Maria Parrott-Ryan, the producer of Love Wisc onsin<https://wisconsinhumanities.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56baa eca5a19753a061c197ba&id=c2f2c1c33e&e=5a40f0607f>, recently reached out to the executive director of the Neenah Historical Society to ask for her p erspective during this extraordinary time. The Neenah Historical Society ha s received grants for many of their amazing public programs from the Wiscon sin Humanities Council.

We found Jane's optimism and ideas so inspiring we couldn't wait to share h er thoughts with you. Be sure to follow Love Wisconsin on Facebook<https:// wisconsinhumanities.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56baaeca5a19753a061 c197ba&id=7dbd04e268&e=5a40f0607f> to meet more extraordinary people fr om all over our great state.

“My family has roots in Neenah that go back to the mid-1800s. I was born and raised here, as was my mother, grandmother, great-grandmother. My broth er has always been the family historian, and he had written a book and came
 to town to do a presentation on it for the Neenah Historical Society. He s aid, ‘Why aren't you involved in the Historical Society?’ because I'm t he only one of our seven siblings who still live in Neenah.

I was too busy with raising kids, and I just hadn't gotten involved with it
 yet. But now I've made up for it. I started as a volunteer, then I was on the board, and I’ve been the executive director for the past eight years.

What we strive to do is bring our history to life for the community. We try
 to tell inspiring and interesting stories that help people get a better pe rspective on today by looking at the past.

Right now, our exhibits are closed, and we had to cancel the history camp t hat we do for kids in the community. It's heartbreaking, because those face
-to-face opportunities with visitors and students—you can't duplicate tha t with a virtual experience.

We will try to make a short video of the current exhibit, which we're so pr oud of. It's so timely: it's all about the 100th anniversary of women's rig ht to vote. All of that has just disappeared, as far as what's on people's radar. They're not thinking about it or celebrating it, which is a shame. W e’re excited about our next exhibit, too, which is about the positive imp act of immigration in our community. But now we’re trying to decide—do we make it virtual or not?

We try to have a very active Facebook page, and I love that it really demon strates how much the community craves connection. They crave connection to the past, to the stories of the community, and to each other. We shared a s tory recently about the history of the rocket ship slide that used to be he re at Riverside Park. That story reached almost 33,000 people. That's more than the population of our city! That's pretty cool. People really do crave
 connection to their community, so I love that we can use social media to d o that.

It's very important for us as cultural organizations to help our communitie s move forward from this pandemic. It's great and wonderful and essential, obviously, for people to get back to work and be in the workplace. But orga nizations like ours provide something else. A community is not a good, stro ng, vibrant community without cultural institutions.

We always have been focused on the inspirational stories of our community, but I think it'll be even more important moving forward. We have to be opti mistic. How we can inspire people to be unafraid, and to know that we will get past this, and that we will learn from it? Maybe we'll have a better pe rspective on how much our community means to us and how we can be better me mbers of our community by helping each other and supporting each other.”

-Jane Lang, Executive Director, Neenah Historical Society
[https://mcusercontent.com/56baaeca5a19753a061c197ba/images/8d4201df-f0e3-4 118-879b-a7d157fd1d85.png] <https://wisconsinhumanities.us8.list-manage.com
/track/click?u=56baaeca5a19753a061c197ba&id=023169cc19&e=5a40f0607f>
[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/56baaeca5a19753a061c197ba/images/38058f43-09 a0-4fc8-af0f-21c91fbab9a8.jpg] <https://wisconsinhumanities.us8.list-manage
.com/track/click?u=56baaeca5a19753a061c197ba&id=34a6566262&e=5a40f060 7f>
[Website]<https://wisconsinhumanities.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5 6baaeca5a19753a061c197ba&id=6bf7cabdae&e=5a40f0607f>
[Facebook]<https://wisconsinhumanities.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u= 56baaeca5a19753a061c197ba&id=0b3fb71071&e=5a40f0607f> Copyright © 2020 Wisconsin Humanities Council, All rights reserved.

Find us at 3801 Regent Street Madison, WI 53705 wisconsinhumanities.org<https://wisconsinhumanities.us8.list-manage.com/tra ck/click?u=56baaeca5a19753a061c197ba&id=dfc0f086f0&e=5a40f0607f>

Want to change how you receive these emails? You can update your preferences<https://wisconsinhumanities.us8.list-manage