Photos Copyright & Commercial Usage

William Schuette (wschuette9877@gmail.com)
Sat, 16 May 2020 11:11:36 -0500

From: William Schuette <wschuette9877@gmail.com>
Subject: Photos Copyright & Commercial Usage
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 11:11:36 -0500

Hi,

How does your museum treat requests for images from your photo collection for commercial use, such as in books or other publications? And, how much do you charge for this type of usage? Is the charge different than for personal use requests?  Does it depend upon how many commercial copies of the publication that are produced?

Finally, does your museum feel that it owns the copyright to your photo collection? We have many images in our collection which were "loaned to copy" from individuals. These photos were digitally scanned, the scans accessioned and the photo returned to the owner. How do you treat that kind of transaction should someone request a copy?

Thanks for any help.

Bill Schuette

Sauk County Historical Society