Re: Photos Copyright & Commercial Usage

winebottle@charter.net
Tue, 19 May 2020 13:46:02 +0000

From: winebottle@charter.net
Subject: Re: Photos Copyright & Commercial Usage
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 13:46:02 +0000

Rebecca, This makes sense and I would like to get a copy of your re lease form, as I am sure a lot of others would as well. Thanks

J im Weinzatl Tomah Area Historical Society & Museum

        -----------
------------------------------From: "Rebecca Dubey" To: "Local Histor y List Serve" Cc: Sent: Monday May 18 2020 1:15:11PM Subject: Re:
 Photos Copyright & Commercial Usage

Bill,after consultation with t he Wisconsin Historical Society last year, we at the Sauk County Histo rical Society are working through our Collections Committee to write a nd implement this aspect of our Collections Policy which will be updat ed in November, 2020. In short, we do not own copyrights, some of our
 collection is in Public Domain, some are privately copyrighted. Some
 of our requests for images are covered under Fair Use issues and that
 is the extent of our responsibility. We are not responsible for copyr ight issues because we do not have the staff that major museums have.
 Instead, we will be working on a release form that people will sign u pon ordering their prints, stating that they understand the use of cop yrighted materials is provided by the museum, but it is up to the pers on using the materials to obtain copyright information and permission
 to use. The Collections Committee will be working on this and will br ing it up to the Board for approval once our work is completed. Our wo rk is based on our parent organization, the Wisconsin Historical Socie ty and specifically, the work of the Archival Division who oversees al l permissions of this type. If you have any further questions, pleas e do not hesitate to call, or I can refer you to our Collections Commi ttee On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 12:23 PM Dane County Historical Society
  wrote: I will look into this and get back to you. Rick Bernstein,
 Office Manager Dane County Historical Society Lussier Family Heri tage Center3101 Lake Farm RoadMadison, WI 53711 ph: 608-224-3605Follow
 us on Facebook! [2]http://bit.ly/2xMGnW6 [3]

On Mon, May 18, 2020
 at 11:35 AM William Schuette wrote: Hi,

 How does your museum t reat requests for images from your photo
 collection for commercial u se, such as in books or other publications?
 And, how much do you c harge for this type of usage? Is the charge
 different than for perso nal use requests? Does it depend upon how many
 commercial copies o f the publication that are produced?

 Finally, does your museum fee l that it owns the copyright to your photo
 collection? We have man y images in our collection which were "loaned to
 copy" from indivi duals. These photos were digitally scanned, the scans
 accessioned
 and the photo returned to the owner. How do you treat that
 kind o f transaction should someone request a copy?

 Thanks for any help.

 Bill Schuette

 Sauk County Historical Society

--
Reb
ecca DuBey, Museum CuratorSauk County Historical Society(608)

Links: ------ [1] ma ilto:danecountyhistory@gmail.com [2] http://bit.ly/2xMGnW6 [3] http: //bit.ly/2xMGnW6 [4] mailto:wschuette9877@gmail.com