Re: Photo storage of scans

Brian Bigler (usemeum@mhtc.net)
Wed, 20 May 2020 18:07:58 -0500

Subject: Re: Photo storage of scans
From: Brian Bigler <usemeum@mhtc.net>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 18:07:58 -0500

I have noted the discussion of photo copyrights and related on listserve.

My questions to organizations out there is this:  How do you store these images?  If they are scans and stored on a computer how do you plan to retrieve them in the future with the rapid change in technology?   Already items stored on CDs are a problem and many CDs - even archival ones- are short lived.  Other computer devices would prove to be problematic as well - even off site storage may soon be antiquated for future use.

A firm believer in hard copy storage to prevent constant updating of equipment I am wondering how many organizations print out quality prints for customer and archival use?  If so, how do you store them or impute them on a database?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Brian J. Bigler

Volunteer Curator - Mount Horeb Area Historical Society