Re: Photo storage of scans

SARA STEELE (smsteele@wisc.edu)
Fri, 22 May 2020 08:27:42 -0500

Subject: Re: Photo storage of scans
From: SARA STEELE <smsteele@wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 08:27:42 -0500

Hi Brian

I’ll take a crack at the scan  inventory. I believe that photos and other visuals and the local information that goes with them are the most important things a community Historical Society can preserve.

I suggest you start as follows.

1.Replace the scan image numbers with a chronological photo numbers (or other means of individual scan identification.)

2. Develop a one line description of the content of the scan starting with the scan number.

3. Put the numbered phrases in to a list ordered according to the image numbers.

I recommend using a spread sheet because the list can be copied easily, coded according to purpose such as subject, time period, or geographic area and easily sorted into sub lists.

I suggest that your group identify some subjects that should have highest priority (example, businesses, or houses, or notables, or community activities, or families).The wider the net the more work keeping an inventory up to date. Photos intrigue me so I add scans of everything from turtles to what I can find on our former governor who served in the 1870s.

How much further you go in setting up an inventory depends on factors such as:

a.*The number of scans in your collection*.This is affected by what time periods you want to include and how many members take or diligently search out photos to be scanned. ExampleIf your HS’s focus is primarily in the 1800s where there are few photos available, a simple listing may do. If you are collecting current photos from local Facebook pages you may quickly acquire hundreds of scans and need a more complex system. Because I believe all local history, from today back to the glacier, needs to be covered, our image collection has now passed 14,000 scans.

b.*How frequently the list will be used and for what purposes*.I post photos from our image collection on our CGAHS Facebook page daily, have written about 40 specific topic reports using as many photos as we can find, and am currently pulling together, in Power Point, series of scans which tell visual stories about buildings, events, or people. We often have used photos as backgrounds in exhibits. So I have a complicated process which results in lists by subjects and one of alphabetized names of people who appear in the photos. (I’m retired and have time.)

c.*How important your photo/image collection is in the overall priorities of your HS or whether you have a member or members who really want to build an imagecollection for your community.*If it is highly important and you have goals in terms of completing sub-collections
(examples, photos of people who have served in a government, church, or school positions over the years, or your community’s involvement in WW II) then you will want a way to create sub lists out of your main chronological list so you can keep track of what or who you are still looking for. On the other hand, if you think of the scans as objects like a dish or tool only to be preserved if photos are given to you, then using key words in the one sentence phrases and a “Find” command on the chronological list may do.

d.*Whether you can find people who enjoy doing the work involved in taking or finding and scanning photos and keeping a complex inventory up to date. *Some of our members have done some neat focused photo projects which we have scanned and added to the master list.

*In terms of keeping “hard copies”, t*he folks who started our photo collection chose to have each photo enlarged to uniform size and a copy made on card stock. Uniform sizes are easier to store than the variation one finds in real photographs. The main reason is that information about what is in the photo was put on the back of the cardboard copy.The card stock copies were kept in plastic sleeves in binders and were available in our History Room and at community exhibits for people to look through.I have continued to have the scans reproduced on card stock. I type quite a bit of information about the who, what, and why of the photo content and its context, as well as source and date received, on a full page label, cut off the individual items and stick the labels on the back of the card stock copies. Then scan both the back and front so the photo and info are kept together. The scan of the back has an A added to the image number so one can quickly see which is which.

Brian, I started a response describing the whole system I use and I will share that if anyone wants to see it or wants to discuss the role and importance of photos as records of history-- just contact me by email.

Sara smsteele@wisc.edu <mailto:smsteele@wisc.edu> Cottage Grove Area Historical Society