Re: Photo storage of scans

SARA STEELE (smsteele@wisc.edu)
Fri, 22 May 2020 12:28:03 -0500

Subject: Re: Photo storage of scans
From: SARA STEELE <smsteele@wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 12:28:03 -0500

Thanks, Brian

Your examples sound good for the photos that are most likely to come into a museum.  Which key words or sub subjects we use depend upon nature of photos that come in or that we choose to seek in, potential use and orientation.

By orientation I mean the extent to which we take responsibility for accurately recording  the information about and photos of people, places, and events important in our local community's history.  That differs from the traditional view of a HS primarily preserving things which illustrate what life was like in a particular time period.  That also is important, but those illustrations often have more impact if the objects have photos and short paragraphs of text which set the context for the items displayed.  People like to see faces and places along with objects.  And objects along with photos.

   I'm focusing on collecting, organizing, and sharing visual records of  life over the years  in a relatively small community, Thus my main headings listed alphabetically are:*Animals *(horses , dogs, cats, other pets ), *Business* (sub categories including retail, big, mobile, employment, parks and malls), *Churches (*buildings and activities*)
**Community (*organizations, events, military, scenes.), *Family*
(single and multi generations, family groups, houses, furnishings vehicles, weddings, other events),*Farmin*g ( animals, crops and equipment, farmsteads and farmers), *Government *(Town and Village buildings, officials, etc. Cemeteries, Police, Fire Department, EMS, Parks and Recreation, Roads/Streets, Utilities ) *Leisure *(music, arts and drama, sports of all kinds) *Nature *(weather, woods, flowers, snow)*Other *(mostly visuals other than photos such as maps and diagrams, papers such as certificates from original government purchase, honors someone received, etc. *Schools* (rural, Cottage Grove Graded, the three, about to be four schools, on CG land, but now in the MG district. The high school is not in our community and high school students are not identified by their home community, so this is a big area missing from our image collection.) and *People* (names entered on alphabetical pages, notables).

  When I became involved, the largest number of photos in any one grouping were photos  showing tobacco work, weddings, and people and their horses, with a few  photo of businesses, parades, festivals,churches, family reunions, etc. Also there was a file of newspaper clippings with photos of men and women who had served in WW II. My key areas and sub areas grew qualitatively( as a methodology not referring to condition or content of the photo) as more photos became available. That's why I suggest that any HS thinking about expanding its image collection, think about all of the possible facets and then set some priorities.

In regard to your original querry or other internet storage.  ,

I've been interested in the several suggestions about how best to preserve scans and would like to hear more about the p*ros and cons of using Cloud *

*I also would like to hear more in terms of whether high resolution*, which might be ideal in the photography world, is realistic when one is trying to capture content and sometimes is thankful to find any kind of photo of someone or something  regardless of quality.

Sara