Policy for Donations "in memory of"

David Totten (djtotten@earthlink.net)
Wed, 29 Jul 2020 11:36:36 -0500

From: "David Totten" <djtotten@earthlink.net>
Subject: Policy for Donations "in memory of"
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 11:36:36 -0500

Our society, like most, gratefully receives unsolicited memorial donations in honor of, or in memory of, a deceased. We consider these funds were given to advance the mission of the society and to be used solely at the Board of Director's discretion.

Occasionally, we encounter a situation where the deceased family thinks otherwise, and lobbies to direct funds to a purpose they have in mind. The problem may become further complicated if the original donor's checks are made payable to the deceased family, and the society receives the sum from a check drawn on the deceased family's account.

This is a delicate situation, particularly when the deceased has long rendered time, talent, and other support to benefit the society.

We are seeking guidance on this issue. Do you have a written policy in place? Comments appreciated.

An ancillary issue arises over whether there is to be a group acknowledgement of significant life events affecting, say, a board member, and if so, what is the funding source? Providing flowers for a funeral is a good example.

Do you have a policy in place? Again, your comments are solicited.

David Totten

President, Board of Directors

New Berlin Historical Society

djtotten@earthlink.net

 <http://www.newberlinhistoricalsociety.org/> Web: newberlinhistoricalsociety.org

Facebook: New Berlin WI Historical Society