Re: Policy for Donations "in memory of"

John Grochowski (jgrochowski@ephraim.org)
Mon, 3 Aug 2020 12:18:34 -0500

From: John Grochowski <jgrochowski@ephraim.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 12:18:34 -0500
Subject: Re: Policy for Donations "in memory of"

Hi David,

We do not have anything written specifically on memorial donations, but we do have some general written policies on donations that might help. Attached are the Gift Acceptance Policies that we drafted. Anything not mentioned has traditionally been handled at the discretion of the Executive Director or Board.

Most memorials and honorariums that we receive are not designated and simply go into our general operating fund. Some donations are designated towards things such as building maintenance, programing, or curation. If a donor requests funds go towards a very specific project, it is really up to the Director and Board to determine if that project meets your mission and is something you are able to undertake at the time. If it isn't, then you would either have to try to convince the donor to direct the funds elsewhere, or refuse the gift. Unless the donor is asking for something completely outrageous though, we always try to accommodate their wishes.

We recently had a deceased person direct funds to us. The daughter asked that some of those funds be used to purchase a memorial bench for our front lawn. In this case, we felt the project was in line with our mission and could easily be done, so we made it happen for the family. We also have a donor that specifically funds the landscaping at our office.

In cases where an individual gives money directly to the family and then the family sends us a check, we record those as gifts from the individuals with a note that they gave directly to the family.

Regarding significant life events, I am not aware of our organization making any contribution or purchasing something. One of our Board members passed away over the winter and as a staff we mailed a condolence card, but no gift was given to the widow. Generally, our board members would also collect money amongst each other to give a gift or purchase flowers, rather than have it come directly from the organization. If you absolutely want to send something from the organization in honor of a board member, you probably would want to consult with your lawyer just to make sure there is no issue doing so.

*John M. Grochowski, CTA* Director of Operations Ephraim Historical Foundation 3060 Anderson Lane, PO Box 165 Ephraim, WI 54211-0165
(920) 854-9688 ephraim.org <http://www.ephraim.org/>

*Ephraim...Where Door County’s Past Lives Today*

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 7:53 AM David Totten <djtotten@earthlink.net> wrote
: