Re: Policy for Donations "in memory of"

John Grochowski (jgrochowski@ephraim.org)
Mon, 3 Aug 2020 12:30:44 -0500

From: John Grochowski <jgrochowski@ephraim.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 12:30:44 -0500
Subject: Re: Policy for Donations "in memory of"

Hi Mikki,

Again, we do not have a specific policy, but have encountered this issue. I think each member/volunteer should be taken on a case-by-case basis. For example, we have a walkway with memorial bricks on it. Most of those bricks are purchased by individuals, but as an organization we have commissioned some in honor of individuals who have impacted our organization. Other members, the staff and membership chair have bestowed lifetime membership to in appreciation for their service. We have one volunteer who will be retiring after about twenty years of service and we will be honoring her with a plaque.

I would recommend asking, what has this volunteer done for you, and what would be an appropriate way to honor them. If it is a docent, perhaps a plaque in the museum. For a major donor you could name a room in their memory. For a volunteer landscaper you could plant a garden in their honor. If it is a stalwart catchall volunteer, creating a memorial pathway and putting a brick in their honor might be a good option. It really depends on the type of volunteer and the value of their contributions to your organization.

*John M. Grochowski, CTA* Director of Operations Ephraim Historical Foundation 3060 Anderson Lane, PO Box 165 Ephraim, WI 54211-0165
(920) 854-9688 ephraim.org <http://www.ephraim.org/>

*Ephraim...Where Door County’s Past Lives Today*