Re: To be framed or not to be framed - that is the question.

Rebecca Dubey (curator@saukcountyhistory.org)
Tue, 13 Oct 2020 11:01:37 -0500

From: Rebecca Dubey <curator@saukcountyhistory.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 11:01:37 -0500
Subject: Re: To be framed or not to be framed - that is the question.

Hello Samuel, At the Sauk County Historical Society I remove all photographs from their frames for the two reasons you have stated.

Most photos are placed in frames that will, over time, harm the photo within them, and we too, have limited storage space. I place all photos in Archival Photo envelopes, which go into archival boxes. We have 7,000 cataloged photos, which all fit on one shelf unit.

Before inserting the photographs, I mark each envelope across the top with
(from L to R:) People's names; Subject, place, or landmark are written at the center, and Object ID on the far right.

We have five box sizes: 4 x 5; 4 x 6; 5 x 7; 8 x 10; and 11.5 x 14.5" Anything larger goes into the flat file. They are filed by Object ID numbers instead of subject to avoid confusion. Each is cataloged and scanned. We have requests for the originals only once in a while.

Mounted prints and prints I can not remove from paper/cardboard frames are also placed in the envelopes and filed in boxes.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions, Becca

--
Rebecca DuBey, Museum Curator
Sauk County Historical Society