Re: grain sacks made into ????

Brian Bigler (usemeum@mhtc.net)
Thu, 19 Nov 2020 13:00:56 -0600

Subject: Re: grain sacks made into ????
From: Brian Bigler <usemeum@mhtc.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 13:00:56 -0600

Hello Mary

I am going to take a few guesses at what the items are that you have because it is difficult not seeing them in person.

The dimensions you give and the coarseness of the fabric indicates that this is a recycled (or as they say today "up cycled") grain bag - the long narrow kind used for storing and hauling farmer's grain in the last half of the 19th century.  Many of these were made by Bemis or Ames and were touted as "seamless" by the manufacture.  The printing on these was blue or black or sometimes had red striping running the length of the bag - all printing was fairly easy to remove by using bleach or lye soap. If you look inside the bag you may see evidence of a label as farm women would often invert these before making them into something useful.

The lace on this object is commercially made and was readily available through mail order or the local store.

Now for use:

Guess number one and most practical.  Because there are ties on one end of this piece and lace only  on the other it was meant to be fastened to something from that end only.  My first guess is the back of a chair.  Women made cushions for chairs to make them more comfortable and they were sometimes placed over thin batten filled pillows or cushions.  Other times they were just left as double layered fabric such as found in the bag itself.  They were made so that by removing a few threads they could be taken off the pillow and washed periodically.  Also, in the days before air-conditioning these were used to kept sweaty backs from sticking to varnished surfaces or rough caned surfaces as in the case of many 19th century rocking chairs.  Victorians especially liked fabrics hung from furniture as part of that parlor clutter look prevalent then.

Guess number two.  In the days when mostly men wore hair gels, women fashioned what are called antimacassars to protect furniture.  Mostly in the form of doilies that could be pinned to the backs and arms of fabric covered chairs and sofas,  These were easily removed for the laundry.  These would have been prevalent at the end of the 19th century and into the beginning of the 20th.  Your pieces date to this time-period.

Finally and least possible.  These may have been used as Victorian era splashers which were hung from the harp of a washstand or fashioned to the wall behind a washstand where the pitcher and bowl sat.  These collected the water and soap that would have otherwise been splashed on walls of bedrooms.  Because of the length and width of your pieces this is a less likely use for them, but not out of the running as a possibility.  These were also hung behind the buckets of water that were used for drinking.

There is one other option and that of these being tied to a dowel in place of a roller towel and used for drying hands.  Usually these types of towels had a loop of fabric at one corner only.

Hope you are doing well Mary

Brian J. Bigler - Mount Horeb

Exhibit Designer and Museum Consultant