Re: grain sacks made into ????

mthiel28@wi.rr.com
Thu, 19 Nov 2020 09:24:40 -0600

From: mthiel28@wi.rr.com
Subject: Re: grain sacks made into ????
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 09:24:40 -0600

We didn’t have much money when I was growing up on a farm, so I made
 a skirt out of feed sack material to take to the county fair as my 4-H proj ect. I got a red ribbon on it, but the judge said that it was too bad that I
 didn’t use nicer fabric. It hurt my feelings.

Marjie Thiel Random Lake Area Historical Society Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 18, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Shirley Mook <victorian201@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Good Afternoon Mary,
>
> Yes, these are beautiful. I have never seen any like this before. Can't i
magine they were used for grains. The ones we have are
> sacks with the name of the four on them or a pretty print. They were used
 for dish towels or children's clothing. When we did our Great Depression E xhibit, I interviewed women who told me about the sacks and gave us some.

> I will ask around though.
>
> Shirley Mook
> Heritage Museum
> Marshfield
>
>> On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 11:28 AM Mary Dibble <mary.dibble.ng@gmail.com> w
rote:
>> Good afternoon
>>
>> I am attaching a photo of one of three similar items we found in a box in
 our attic eaves marked "grain sack linen". This one is 38 inches long and a bout 14 and a half inches wide. All three have different designs but are pr etty close in dimensions. They are like really long slender pillow shams.

>> I'm assuming a frugal housewife washed the grain sacks, cut out the print
ed company name, and then tatted them into something special. Does anyone s ee something else here?

>> And can anyone identify what they would have been used for and what they w
ould have been filled with? Does anyone have a name for them?